Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

Not fair! get caught doing 34 and you get busted!

This is was on the island recently!

COURT RULES 150MPH DASH 'NOT DANGEROUS'A YOUNG Totland driver clocked at nearly 150mph escaped jail when the judge ruled his speeding was not dangerous.

Winchester Crown Court was told how carpenter Nicholas Adrian Whittle, 21, took his father's £35,000 Porsche Boxster and drove at high speeds along the Military Road last May.

Traffic officer PC Clive Richardson told the court he had followed Whittle in a turbo-charged Skoda Octavia pursuit car and calculated his speed using an on-board computer system. He said Whittle was driving the Y-reg blue Boxster at 149.9mph over a distance of 0.227 miles.

But Recorder Caroline Lister threw the case out, saying he went fast for a short time only on a straight road with excellent visibility.

She said the evidence showed he had braked at bends, there was no other traffic on the road and few houses in the area.

"I have to rule whether speed alone can be the basis of a dangerous driving case. I reach the conclusion it cannot," she said.

The court was told Whittle's Porsche sped past a patrol car at more than double the 60mph speed limit while overtaking a van near Atherfield Bay.

PC Richardson said: "To be fair to Mr Whittle, it seems to be a moment of madness, as he got to the first bend his speed seemed to slow down."

Whittle, who disputed the speed calculation and denied a charge of dangerous driving, said after the case that he was relieved at the verdict but realised it was not over.

He is now expected to face speeding and no insurance charges at the IW Magistrates' Court.

"It's a serious charge and something I felt quite strongly about fighting. I am happy with the outcome," he said.

PC Richardson said dangerous driving was just one aspect of the case.

Commenting on the verdict, he said: "The judge has made a decision on her interpretation of the law."

He added: "Island roads are not suitable for high speeds."