Sign in to follow this  
Bobert healetty

seals keep blowing in the charger need help asap

an O.E rebuild kit was used from Bahn Brenner... heres the deal ill tell you the whole story

the previous owner bought this charger...from ebay the guy said it was rebuilt so the previous owner got it installed by a shop and as soon as they installed and started the car...smoke started pouring out the exhuast...so the PO knocked off $1k from the asking price and i bought an OE rebuild kit from bahn brenner...one of my buddies from school owns a g60 and a vr6 he has rebuilt them before(?) the rebuild went good..we installed the charger and the oil seals blew..apparently my buddy from school hooked up the oil return line to the oil filter housing(the top where the sensor is) and we apparently neither of us thought about the oil filter has oil pressure and the oil return line is supposed to be low pressure...boom oil seals blow...it shreaded 1 seal and popped the other one out(these are the two front seals by the pully inner and outer...the inner seal got shreaded..so i bought 2 more seals from bahn brenner...then I found out where exactly to hook up the oil return line and thats where it was hooked up...so we replaced the seals cleaned everything out...etc the charger still looks extremely clean and almost new on the inside...no chips or cracks nothing its nice and shiney...still....so we put everything back together it sealed up nicely...we hooked the charger into the car starter her up took the intercooler tube off and it was blowing nice and hard air with no oil coming out...granted the car was still smoking like mad from all the oil still in the tubes and intercooler...but nothing was coming out the charger but air...so we hooked the air hoses back up and let the car idle for a minute....checked it again and still nothing wrong with the charger still blowing good air and not leaking oil.... so we decided now was the time to move the car we started drive with it still smoking out the exhuast and drove pretty slow and got back to the house with just a couple minutes of driving slowly... turned the car off unhooked the tube again and boom oils leaking like a mother F*cker right out the charger outlet... another seal got shreaded cause i can see tiny little plastic/rubber particles all over the outletand im pretty sure its the same one that got shreaded before

what did we do wrong?

I suspect that when you ran the charger with oil pressure off the filter head, you damaged more than the seals you replaced. Maybe the springs that hold the lip of the seals tight against the shafts have popped off?

How on earth did you hook it up to the filter housing anyway????????????

The oil line is about 2 feet long! Oil only drips out of this line with the engine running.

Also, are you sure there's no kinks in the return line to the block?

I had a problem with a charger that kept blowing oil seals from behind the pulley. I never got a conclusive answer as to why. I suspect the seals were from a batch that were slightly undersize and maybe I wasn't installing them into a perfectly oil free housing.

In the end I made a plate to sit between the charger and the bracket to stop them blowing out. I think I did 3 or 4 before stopping the problem.

At tickover with low pressure the seals on my car were fine. Only once driving did they blow out again.

Gavin

If you have spun the seals in the displacer housing you will of enlarged seal landing area meaing it will not fuse to the seal. There are ways to rectifie this problem but first we need to know exactly which seals you keep blowing out.

That's strange,since finishing my 2.0 g6016v engine i've never had problems with oil seals blowing and my oil line is fitted directly on top of the oil filter housing,when first started the oil pressure is 8+Bar then when warm at idle it's at 2Bar,when booting it,7/8 bar.(Racetech mech.gauge)

I've done 8000km without the slightest problem.

I get the impression the line went straight on to the filter mount, without the restricter. It's not the just the pressure, the volume of oil is just as important.

Although, if the return line were blocked eventually the line pressure would climb to system pressure.

Gavin

the two seals that keep blowing are the intake side seals the two seals closest to the main pully....inner and outer the inner seal keeps getting shreaded and the outter keeps popping out

Do you use any cement of any kind on them? The housing should be bone dry and grease free. I used bearing cement on mine which seemed ok. Made by loctite.. I don't if g-man does or not.

The outer one shouldn't be pushed all the way in, it should sit proud by about a millimetre. If you push them all the way in, they can block the drain hole which will off course jack up the pressure in the charger until something gives. I guess the inner seal first....

Gavin

ok could it be because im using 20w-50 synthetic oil and didnt let the car warm up before we started to drive it?...im guessing heavier oil causes more oil pressure? and is thick as **** before its warmed up? if i had to guess then thats what my guess would be...because everything in the charger looks really good and clean except the fact that these 2 seals keep blowing...the first time they blew was our own fault we were stupid and hooked up the return line wrong but this time...we did everything right the only thing i can think of was were using to thick of oil and didnt let the car warm up and that caused too much oil pressure behind the seals and just blew them out

also exactly how should these seals be installed?...should they sit flush in the hole?..should they be in a little more or sticking out a little more?

everything was nice and dry when we installed the seals we did not use any bearing cement or anything like that

is your return outlet clear. The only way i can see those to seals going consistently is if you have a block/obstruction there

you mean where the oil return line connects to the charger?...i dont know...how can i check?...can i blow some compressed air through there to maybe clear it out if it is blocked? before i rebuilt the charger i cleaned the living hell out of the thing with brake parts cleaner...and it was all nice and shiney and after i rebuilt it i put some oil over all the bearings and when i did that oil was dripping out of the feed and return inlet/outlets (before i installed the charger) i guess you could say i primed it with a little bit of oil

ok remove the return line *the one that goes back to the block.* make sure oil is coming out of the hole when running and also make sure you can blow through the pipe that goes into the block

ok i will do that...i did take the oil feed line off...and there was oil in it but i could not blow through it at all from either side...i will try it with the return line ..if oil comes out and i can blow through it then what should i check next?

i did check my oil level and the crankcase was WAY overfull can an overfull crankcase of very heavy weight oil cause too much oil pressure and blow the seals in the charger?....

i can see particles all over the place from the shreaded sealso i need to do an oil change and probably an engine flush before i even attempt to install the charger again

g-man is the expert but a full sump might prevent the oil from draining properly out of the charger.

You could hook the charger up without fitting it. Like Darren says you need to see oil coming out of the drain. Run the engine at tickover, if you let it idle you should have plenty of time to see the oil flowing before the water gets anywhere near hot.

Really there isn't a lot of oil that comes out, at tickover I would expect a steady drip, going to a constant trickle if you raise the revs.

Try blowing through the drain line by removing it from the engine.

The drain line banjo bolt is clean isn't it?

Gavin