Sign in to follow this  
VEEDUBBED

G60's cogged belt..

Right fellow veedubbers,figure this 1 out..

I purchashed 2 new cogged G60 timing belts and 68mm pulley from darren at gwerks a few weeks back,today i finally find a few spare hours to try and finish my car,head re-fitting,sump,uprated headlamp loom etc,etc.

Anyway,i remove the old 72mm steel pulley and go to change the cogged belt,a job i've done countless times,i fit the 12mm german made belt which is of exellent quality,much better looking than the O/E Gates version,i then check the timing marks to see if the're still aligned,all ok.

I then try turning the charger's main shaft to seat the belt,here starts the fun,the shaft would'nt shift until i put a spanner on the pulley bolt and forced it to move..,wtf is going on here?,faulty belt?,maybe,so i try the other 12mm belt(i bought 2),same thing,belt binds,needs exessive force to turn shaft and jumps teeth on cogged wheels.

I re-fit the old Gates belt and the charger turns perfectly,as it did before removing this belt.

I take all three belts, the 11mm Gates belt+ the 2 12mm versions and trial fit them onto my spare G-charger i have for sale,the bloody spare charger spins perfectly with no binding,jumping teeth etc,regardless of which belt i fit,what the christ is going on here?,how is it possible that the belts won't work on identical chargers??,anyone come across this before?.

Its impossible for it to be the belt andrew. Have you rebuilt the charger on your car your self ? check the actual keyways are aligned dont allways trust the timing marks on the pulleys 100%. Its is very bizzare though i must admit

sounds like the belts are too tight in a way. perhaps the g-lader is slightly out of position?

The belts are definatly not to tight 120xl is an industry standard belt and the size does NOT vary mate.

No,def. not the belts,the keyways are both pointing straight up to twelve o'clock,what i can't fathom is why does the charger only turn when using the old 11mm Gates belt??,but on the spare unit they all work fine!!!

Sounds like your small bearings in the top of the charger are knackered. The old belt is more slack and when you fit the new belt it's pulling the cogged wheels closer together. Just a guess though! :?