Sign in to follow this  
2_Door_fun

Drivers side wind noise

Hi all.

Being as the C is on stands with everything out for a rebuild I thought i'd tackle the terrible windnoise I get from my side when tanking along.

I did a search on this but little came up. I did catch 1 post that mentioned the door membrane.

I removed both panels. Pass side had the membrane my side did not?

Could this really be the prob? I could swear the noise comes from near my head!!!

If this is the prob any recomendations for what to use as a new membrane??

perhaps the rubber seal is getting old and worn? I'd dynamat the doors anyways, it'll help a lot.

I've just ordered a new seal and the horizontal seal that sits on the outside as you lower the window. I had thought about dynamat on the doors. May as well the car is looking like an airfix kit at the moment!! :lol:

are you sure its not your sunroof alignment ?

Don't know. S roof does not work... It tilts a bit but does not slide. So I just closed it again and disconnected the switch. Save that for another day I think...

Any ideas on what would be good to make a new membrane from? Or just some decorators dust sheets?

any thick plastic will do , although you may need to use a hairdryer or heat gun to put bulge in it where the speaker protrudes into the door

dynamatt does make quite a difference on the doors, i've done mine

make sure the front edge of the sunroof dips below the roof line and the rear is approx a 1mm higher, i've had mine mis aligned and it roars above 80mph

I got horrible wind noise when the sun roof cover (the beige cover inside) was just 1-2 cm opened (mind, the sun roof was closed fully). closing that helped a lot ;)

Driving with the sunroof slightly open produces a huge booming sound in the cabin which can only really be eliminated by opening the window. Doe sthe noise reduce if you slightly open a window? That might indicate if it's the sunroof.