Sign in to follow this  
tattyrado

how do you apply for a no plate if the car hasn't got one?

On my quest to find a cheap spacious form of transport untill I can find a car I want that I can afford, I've found a Toyota hilux surf. Its cheap, got a MASSIVE boot and its local to me, only prob is the seller wants to keep his cherished plate. Being an import thats the only plate its ever had, so how would I, (and how much would it cost to) apply for a new plate. ASlso how long would it all take and what kind of plate would I be issued?

i am guessing you will have to apply with dvla or the company who takes off the private plate would supply one. it would be at a extra cost thou.

Think you gotta take an MOT cert to the dvla (if you don't have one, you gotta get in MOT'd on the chassis numbers!), then fill out a loada forms to apply for a relevant number plate.

But research into it first! Don't contact the DVLA before you know all about it, cos sometimes they'll try and force a 'Q' plate on you!

The present Owner has to do it, He need to get his plate off before the sale, then the car will be assigned a plate, Just phone your local DVLA office

Yeh its not all bad. Like Jim said present owner has to do it as the car needs a reg. Will cost him about £80.

I always thought 'Qs' were reserved for cars with no i.d. eg. chassis number has been cut. New one assigned