Sign in to follow this  
guydean1

2.0 16v Cold start failing and warm up idle too low

Hi,

My 1995 corrado has an infrequent fault where sometimes when cold it is reluctant to start. Requires many attempts at cranking with the odd splutter and eventually comes to life. Even then it needs a bit of throttle to keep it alive.

Warm Up - sometimes the idle during warm up can fall very low, almost to stalling. Usually occurs around the 70 to 80 centigrade mark on the dashboard temp guage.

Running on warm up - can be a bit reluctant and fades on opening the throttle.

Bits which have been replaced include

The distributor body - which fixed warm starting issues

The blue temperature probe on the right hand side of the engine.

Remember that it usually runs perfectly okay and just suffers on the odd occasion.

thanks for any help

Guy

I have a friend with a similar 2.0 16v problem. It's been to various garages over the last year and all have failed to sort it. I don't know if yours is the same, but if you try to drive hers when it's playing up it completely holds back and dies if you apply any throttle. It's quite dangerous when pulling out of junctions!

Hers seemed to play up more when it was raining but now, after being at the last garage, it pretty much does it all the time. I drove it last week for the first time in a while and it's very obvious that it's running seriously lean.

Hi there, I have just picked the car up from the garage. The diagnostics computer was showing up intermittant faults from the Lambda probe, the crankshaft sensor and the ingition sensor off plug lead number 4. So they have replaced the number 4 plug lead. We shall see. Its fine today but then its VERY early days.

just thought I'd add a little note on all this.....just picked my car up from stealth for servicing, and it turned out my misfire was caused by a knackered no.4 lead. On later 2.0 cars, the knock sensor is connected to it, and whoever changed the leads last decided it was too much trouble to work out how to remove the end cap.......tsk tsk