Sign in to follow this  
jim1

G60 Intercooler Removal

Having a bit of a head scratching time trying to remove the intercooler from my Corrado G60. The problem is access to one last bolt at the front and top of the intercooler ( beneath Battery ) , this is obscured by the inlet cowl that leads to the intake grill below the bumper. Dont seem to be able to get the black plastic inlet cowl out without removing the bumper or damaging the intercooler face, however cant get the bumper off as the inlet cowl obscures the bolts and last wedge clip, easiest option i see is cutting up the plastic inlet cowl? Am I missing anything dead obvious?? any advice would be gratefully received!!

I'm confused at least!! unfortunately no pictures at the mo, the car lives in wiltshire and I work in London. The two bumper bolts on either side seem pretty well obscured also, you wouldnt be talking about the two forward facing bolts which join the brackets to the bumper carrier? or the two vertical bolts holding the bracket to the subframe/inner wing?

All 4 G60 bumper mounting bolts are fairly easily accessible from under the car. Possibly one of the cooling ducts will need to be moved - there's a phillips screw, screwed vertically into the bumper at the front of each duct.

The bumper mounting bolts are vertically screwed into the chassis legs. There are what appears to be 3 mounting bolts one each side - 2 large outer ones & 1 small inner one. Unfasten only the large outer bolts - the inner one holds the front x-member/engine in place. From memory, the bumper mounting bolts are 17mm socket size. Use a socket & short extension, this will enable access.

nice one, good work Ive got it now. Ive been on the look out for a couple of M8's or something smaller. Is this not a large part of the front end structure? can I move the car with this member removed?

You've not removing the x-member.

Leave the smaller (middle) bolts in place - do not unscrew these or the engine will drop on your head !!

Only undo the 4 outer 17mm bolts & the bumper will slide forwards.

Quite safe to move the car without the bumper attached.

...Leave the smaller (middle) bolts in place - do not unscrew these or the engine will drop on your head !!...

:rofl:

We did this after the s/c said goodnight....

You only need to draw the bumper forward about 5cm just to allow access. Apparently if you pull it much further the brackets will come out of their mountings and it will drop off and its quite heavy.

:!: