Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Mk1 Golf 16v Conversion

Not quite a corrado but my bro has a mk1 1.8 golf gti, the engine has pretty much had it, he wants to put a 16v lump in it, is this a relatively straight forward thing to do??

Any help or links would be very helpful

Cheers

Mike

well i will probably be the one doing the conversion... :roll: my bro is a bit of a bodger!! he likes using cable ties....lots of them!

will check the site out cheers

Except there aren't many in the UK.

I did one years ago, you need a 4 branch really, Ashley do a cheap but effective one.

Keep the 16V box if at all possible as the ratios are correct. You should use the drive shafts from a late Cab or lateish Scirocco(100mm diameter cups on the box). Will need to use outer CVs to match as the Mk2s won't fit.

Retain the idle stab wiring which goes into the centre console on the MK2s.

I'd just use the MK2 metering head mounted on the LHS of the engine bay, I got some braided stanless fuel lines made up from the pump to the metering head and back.

Consider a brake upgrade, although I have a mate with a Turbo Technics mk1 that runs std brakes.

If you would swap your own engine then this is not much more than a weekends work. I'd try a get the 16V clocks in the dash too.

Gavin

I don't think the outer CVs will fit in the MK1 hubs. Also not sure if the MK2 hubs will fit the MK1.

That is the best way to do it. I paid 800 just for an engine and box when I did mine in 96.

Where I bought an engine and ancilliaries off ebay before Christmas for 120....

Having the MK1 and MK2 Haynes manuals is also a good idea when doing the wiring.

Gavin

thanks for the help guys, hes got a 2Litre 8v bottom end in the garage and has just bought a gasflowed 8v Head to put in it now so doesnt look like a 16v is going to go in, should be pretty quick tho.