Sign in to follow this  
Bobert healetty

How to get head off with ARP studs need serious help

no i got the timing belt back on today and cranked it over to get the old crap out of the cylinders then put some fresh oil in there put the plugs back in cranked the motor head didnt move ..so i put a little more oil in crank it again head still didnt move so i tried it one last time and as soon as cranked it i heard two loud popping noises i have no idea what it was but i stopped at that point now i dont know what to do head still wont come off

this is a bit extreme mate, i`ve never had a head this stubborn before - the popping you heard, was there a small cloud of smoke from the exhaust manifold area at the same time ? it might of been the oil igniting under compression ( i hope ). i think the studs will have to come out bob, is it possible to weld a nut on to the top of the stud to try and screw the bugger out ?

quote "Because ARP studs are manufactured to such exacting tolerances, you will note that gaskets and cylinder heads literally glide into position and are perfectly aligned".

the above quote is from the arp website, i dont suppose some one has "gone up a size " in head studs but not taken the drillings in the cylinder head out to match but just used the natural tolerance that was already there ( albeit tight ) leading to the problem you have now -- just a suggestion

ok ..thank you very much gaz i will be taking the head studs out no matter what now i dont care if i have to go back to oem..it seems the only way i will be able to get them out is channel locks or vise grips ...i do not have a welder and dont have access to a welder.. i have tried stud removers, double nutting, prying, hammering, cranking engine, etc etc nothing has worked so the studs must come out no matter what

and i talked to the vw stealership and they said they wont touch it i even called the shop who built the motor to see if they would just do the job for me and they made some lame excuse "we just got a porsche and merc that we're doing heavy engine work on so we wont be able to get to the vw for like 3 weeks"...i was like wtf....these people probably put a massive bandaid on a huge problem and dont want me to know about it....im hoping the head isnt cracked or something... or the head is warped