Sign in to follow this  
Robmorris

possible head gasket failure

possible head gasket failure - it smokes white smoke from cold (does clear up when warm though) and the water level has dropped slighty (but not much). However, there are no signs of mixing, either water in the oil, or vice versa, the car doesn't overheat (no matter how long it's standing running for) and it still drives fine, It's only done it in the last couple of days, but i can't see it being anything else, but again, it still drives fine, and displays none of the other symptons normally associated with head gasket leakage?

you sure its smoke and not just steam because its cold if it was the head there would be some trace of it going. could be something like a water leak or heater matrix leaking and your just being paranoid

i sure hope so mate!

cant be steam, its only just started, its been cold the last few months...?

il check on the water/matrix....cheers

Water is a product of combustion, so all exhausts will produce steam.

It is more likely to be a small leak at one of the water outlets on the head IMO. How long is it taking to put the warning light on?

If the matrix was going it is likely that you would smell the coolant in the car and the windows would steam up. Had mine go at a oner on the motorway. Most frightening to suddenly be in a sauna.

Gavin