Sign in to follow this  
Ronan

Crank Oil Seal

This is what is leaking, and now I have bought a clutch (which is LUK by the way - is that any good compared to the OE one?) I will be replacing the seal.

Problem is, if you go to VAG you can no longer buy just the seal, you have to buy the flange that goes with it as well - which means taking the sump off and everything I'm told. This seems stupid to me as they have discontinued the seal itself which is why you have to buy the complete flange.

Has anyone else come across this before, or had to buy the whole flange (at a price of 73 quid!)? I ended up getting a seal from GSF in the end.

Luk are an oem so it should be ok.

I am currently rebuilding a G60 engine and I got the crank seal in GSF, but I took one look at it when I was building the engine and decided it looked too sh1t to put near the engine so I left the old one alone, it didn't look like it was leaking anyway.

Some of the stuff in GSF is really poor quality, particularly seals and gaskets.