Sign in to follow this  
Atlas

Asthmatic C

Think my C's got asthma. It doesnt seem quick off the mark and almost has a lull in performance at low revs. Is this just a breathing problem i.e in need of an uprated air filter and exhaust :?

you could bring it on the rolling road day at stealth racing sure they would give you a few pointers and only £20

funky

you said what engine has my C got, this is my first one ive only had golfs before.

How many different lumpsdid they put in 1.8 16v C's? Mines on a Gplate (89 / 90) how can i identify between them?

The 1.8 16V were all KR engine codes and were used in a whole shed load of different VWs including Golfs, Passats, Corrados, Scirrocos and probably others!

It uses a K-E Jetronic fuel system which is basically the same mechanical injection system as the original Golf GTIs, but with a couple of microswitches for full throttle and idle sensing. It also had a small ECU of sorts that "adapted" (for want of a better word) the timing via the vacuum advance on the dizzy.

The engines are a pretty solid lump and tend to take milage pretty well as long as they are reasonably looked after...

There was only one major change in the KR series 16V engine during it's production, and that was the change of the original straight, narrow inlet manifold upper (bit wot looks like a bunch of bannanas over the head!) which, on some engines, was changed to a unit which "flared" out slightly to give a bigger interior diameter. Aparently this was to give a different torque curve and is why the Corrado 1.8 16V had a lower stated BHP than the Golf 16V GTI with the same engine, but different inlet manifold.

The only real pain with them is trying to adapt them to run on unleaded as they were designed for a high octane (4star) fuel, don't have a knock sensor and the "ECU" isn't chip-able. Most people either run them on Super unleaded, or mess about with the timing slightly to stop the pinking... Some KR engines DON'T need this doing, but no-one is sure why it affects some, but not others... :shock: :?

If your 16V is feeling somewhat sluggish, then someone has probably messed around with the timing to stop the pinking, or you're running it on plain old unleaded.... Put some Optimax in (you'll need a couple of tanks before you'll notice any difference) and see if that helps... If not, then get the timing checked and maybe try here again... :D

Woah, that turned into an essay! :shock: Sorry! :lol: :oops:

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your C! 8)