Sign in to follow this  
kvwloon

Driveshaft outer end connection to CV joint advice please...

...OK , feel a bit of an idiot, but the story is....C failed MOT last week due to a worn ball joint. So I replaced them both yesterday, no great problem.....until I tried driving to MOT tester today, and didn't get there! Went on to full lock in a car park, and lost all drive! Looking under car and removing the outer CV joint gaitor, the splined end of the driveshaft where it slots in to the outer CV joint had come adrift from the CV joint and was just hanging there loose!

History is, when I was doing the ball joints, after undoing the three bolts for the balljoint base, and then the upper bolt at the ball joint, I found I could swivel the lower caliper assy to one side for better access, but when this happended the splined end of the driveshaft would also come adrift easily. Thought a bit odd, but when I put it all back together I guided the splined end of the driveshaft back in to the CV joint, and it all seemed OK. Driving to MOT station I noticed the steering wheel was not centred anymore, so pulled in to car park (luckily) to take a look at why, and that's when I lost all drive, for the reason above.

I see there is a circlip on the end of the driveshaft splined portion, should this locate in to the CV joint? If so, presumably I'm going to have to take the whole thing off to do it? Any help and words of sympathy would be appreciated. All my friend could say was 'why don't you get rid of all your old VW's and get one modern car instead!' :cry:

'90/'91 16v by the way, and thanks in advance for any help.

Hi and welcome to the god of CV jobs..

Done hundreds of em.

The CV circlip on the outboard joint is pressure based.

You will need to remove the steering arm ball joint, Once this free you will be ok to refit. First check the joint is clean. ie clear out the grease. just incase of debris. Pack with new grease (up to you this bit by the way if you think yhe joint is clean go for it) Guide the joint onto the splines andd when up to the circlip give the hub bolt end a good hard crack with a heavy mallet. The circlip will pop back into its hidden slot. Tie wrap your CV boot and refit the joint and your steering arm ball joint.

I have had this happen on an old Maestro I did work on. reversed the car no drive??? Idiot forgot to drive the joint on. Happens to us all. Chin up bud you should see my car :shock:

I'm writing a how to for the knowledge base. looks like I need to get my skates on..

I should be building up my new driveshafts next week. I'll photograph the whole process. Should be clear as all the parts are new. Any recommendation on the best grease to pack the joints with. Got VW and GSF stuff but if theres something better i'll use that instead.