Sign in to follow this  
Waz

rear spoiler

hi all there is only one side of my spoiler that works the other side i am able to lift by hand :? any one any got any suggestions cheers!!!

Sounds like the little pin in the lift tube has snapped and the cable eye end has nothing to engage with.

DIY job, no VW spares, need to fit a new home made pin in the lift arm. In order to do, you will need to take the spoiler mechanism off the rear hatch and split open the unit on the arm that is failing to lift.

Yeah, easy taking out the spoiler unit. Raise it first and remove the aerofoil part by undoing the small allen head bolts in the lift arms. Take out the 2 screw in each base on the outside of the hatch. Inside remove the inner hatch panel by turning the screw thro' 90 degress. Disconnect the electrical connections. 4 bolts to remove the unit. (Take photos of the connections to remember)

Then take the spoiler apart the on the tube bit on the side not working. Inside you will find a cable drive with a "eye" end fitting. The pin on the lift arm that engages the "eye" is most likely snapped. You will need to drill out what's left in the lift arm part and then refit a small metal rod made from a part of a small bolt with its head cut off to make the new pin the right length and also fit the "eye" end. It has to be corrosion proof so use a small brass bolt and cut it to length and glued into the hole you have left by drilling out the broken pin. I've used B&Q 0.5 x 25mm 3mm machine screw part code AVF-069543.