Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Fish

Oil Leak - Crankcase Breather Hose????

Hi All,

I have an oil leak seemingly coming from the area near the top of my oil filter/oil cooler/crankcase breather hose. Since gravity pulls down, the uppermost area is the breather hose, so having checked, this would seem to be the culprit.

I have checked the dipstick and it is below min, so off to get some SS.

However, I do not understand why there would be a leak from the CC breather hose? Surely this would only happen if there were too much oil in the engine, which cannot be the case if it is below min??

In terms of history, the oil filter is about 18 months old, and some muppet (not me) overfilled the engine and it spat a load of oil out of the hose and into the airbox, creating a james bond effect smokescreen. Haven't really bothered cleaning it yet. That was about 8 months ago.

Help would be appreciated.

DF

x

Well, upon closer inspection, drying the area down then running the engine and doing a bit of oil leak reading, it would seem it is the oil pressure switch that sits on top of the cooler.

so have bought a new one (about £9) and 2ltrs of Synta Silver (£8 ) and hopefully that is all hunky. fit it later.

Well done me.

Delete!