Sign in to follow this  
2_Door_fun

Timing belt width???

Hi all.

Got my Goodyear timing belt this morning of the web. Also got a new VW tensioner pulley of my mate. He did not need it anymore. never used.

pulley is the same as on the car.. Belt is not??

Its to wide for the pulley? How wide should a G60 belt be? On the car the current belt is 20mm across. My new belt is 25mm. There is no way it will slip into the pulley bed.

I called up the place and they said the belt should be 25mm across with 147 teeth. What are yrs like?

Cheers all

2 door you know the tensioner pulley any idea how much these are from vag and are they a hard to do? i may change my timing belt soon to so will be intersted to see what one you get! cheers andy

Don't know how much they are.

To do a timing belt is a doddle especially on a single cam engine. Also the tensioner pulley is a 4 minute job. Used to do em on my Saab Turbo. Change it once a year as a matter of routine. Did'nt need to do the belt as the Saabs don't have belts Twin timing chains. The Saab Turbo has a massive serpentine belt and the pulleys howl when the bearings dry up.

So how wide is yer belt.. :lol:

Belt is £4.50, Pulley is about £18

2_Door_fun, that belt is wrong - Always use VAG parts for critical stuff like this, especially as you know you'll get the correct part and they come in sealed packs.

You also want to think about doing the crank bolt while your there as they have been known to break....

Actually Steve I bouht one last week from VAG - They use powergrip ones and are apparently about the best. They work out about £12 from VAG!

Belt is £4.50, Pulley is about £18

2_Door_fun, that belt is wrong - Always use VAG parts for critical stuff like this, especially as you know you'll get the correct part and they come in sealed packs.

You also want to think about doing the crank bolt while your there as they have been known to break....

Which belt?? My new or current?? width?

Answers on the back of a belt pack please :lol:

width should be 20mm i think (I'm not going outside, it's raining!) - the new one is wrong, like Sam says above should be a Gates Powergrip belt

Thankyou bud. Apreciated.

The guy on the phone is telling me his book states this and I'm saying er no it wont fit. Aside anything else just down from the cam sprocket is a belt rear guide. So taking that into account no way will this belt fit.

As ever

Cheers

Ok You belt god's.

The supplier will get me a new gates belt n send it out to me for free.

He has asked for the Gates belt No.

Took this of the belt

5016-41121 X 18mm

Is that what he wants?

Cheers Chaps.