Sign in to follow this  
cromwell

G60 engine bay steaming - help?

Hey just got a G60 and was driving around today when the engine bay erupted with steam. Have thrown loads of water into the system but to no avail. I think the water pump may have gone, but could be wrong, and was wondering if anybody know if a golf gti mk2 8v uses the same water pump as a carrado g60 (8v).

Any response would be a huge help.

nice one, i have a spare 8v lump so ill take it off that.

there is a stage 4 supercharger on there but i wouldnt have thought that would make a difference to the water pump?

No the pump is standard 8v but as you will find it's a bit more difficult to get to than on a GTi - ie you have to remove charger and bracket

Also - don't use a second hand pump unless it's very new as they are only £25 from VAG

fit a new vag pump and stat while your in there

are you sure the pump is gone? theres lots of things that can cause overheating

well basically the car was totally fine, and i suddenly got a water light and steam, so i kept refilling it but i got steam and a water light every time after about a minute of driving. then i got an oil light too and then the two started beeping so i went straight home. when i was putting water in (when the engine was still warm) it would go in, and then be spat out a few seconds later. there is obviously no water in the engine because the temp gauge wasnt rising by much at all but the engine was very hot. ive checked the head gasket and thats fine. the car seemed to be running perfectly, just overheating and steaming.

most of the stream seemed to be coming from the actually water reservoir itself before the engine overheated.

could it possibly be a blocked pipe?

it could be...a thermostat, fan switch, water filler cap,headgasket etc#

how have you checed the head gasket to see if its fine?

Yep could still be the head gasket.

Get a garage to do a dye test. My 60 was fine then the car and bonett erupted with steam plus lights flashin n bleepin.

Head Gasket had gone. Dumpin water down the exhaust... £350 later and a head skim and all is fine...

I hope its not though...Good luck

took the oil cap off and there was no white crap or anything, and the car was running sweet so i assumed the head gasket was ok? hopefully its nto an expensive problem, just spent all my money on the car :(

i have somewhere i can take it, but dont wana drive it there in case i fuck anything. its only about a half mile what do you think?

took the oil cap off and there was no white crap or anything, and the car was running sweet so i assumed the head gasket was ok? hopefully its nto an expensive problem, just spent all my money on the car :(

Yep I had just spent my cash ont he car about a month before!!! My engine was red hot.

Topped her up at a Tesco's and then nursed her to a garage I knew. I hate garages I always do my own work but I was well in a spin at that point moving house n all soughts so I had to hand her over. Can you nurse the car there in one clear drive no traffic or anything to hold you up?

Maybe take it down at the dead of night and then walk over there in the morning and explain the probs.

Were all of the pipes hot when it happened?

I had this on a car, some of the water pipes were boiling, some were cold.

turned out the thermostat was stuck closed, so no water was getting round the engine.

Easy fix for a garage, and cheap too.

Wasn't a bad seal on the expansion tank cap? Heard of eruptions of boiling coolant simply because the cap was a bit tired. A new one from the stealer for a few quid sorted it!

Might be worth a try! :)

yeah Richie the pipes were pretty damn hot! im in bucks too mate (high wycombe) where did you take it to get it looked at?

jim would a bad expansion tank cap stop the water flowing into the engine though do you think?

i could probably get it to a place thats not far at night like you say 2_door_fun, there is a vw place pretty near me, but if its something i can fix like a dodgy pipe or something id rather save the hassle!

why dont you refill it , and run it up keeping an eye on whats what

you should be able to get a better idea of whats wrong

check if top and bottom hoses get hot, see i the fan comes on when it should etc...just keep an eye on the temp and shut it off before it gets really hot

then report back with what you found...any luck its a fan switch/stat/rad cap

where could i get a new expansion cap? the fan was working fine as far as i could see. it stayed on for ages after the engine was turned off, but the engine was damn hot.

had it over a pit today and there is water dripping from somewhere but i cant seem to see where :S this makes me think maybe its not the water pump? also there is a hissing where the water pipe meets the head itself when the car has been running. i put a big bottle of water in there but as soon as i start the car i get a water light :(

any ideas guys? all help greatly appreciated as i am screwed without the car!

cracked coolant flanges are common!

its where the coolant pipe goes to the head..theres a black plastic flange thats held on with 2 bolts, new plastic ones are £10 ish (dont forget the o ring) or some older mk2 golfs has nice metal ones if you want to look in scrapy

i have a mk2 golf 8v (1987) im breaking for spares atm so ill have a look on that!

getting the car back over the pit tomorrow and my mate who is a lot better than me than this is going to have a look at it, so fingers crossed i might be able to get it sorted!

right well i had a look at the coolant flange like you said, and that is where it seems to be steaming from/releasing water. the flange looks fucked too, as if its covered in limescale, so im guna go and get one from my local parts supplier and hopefully all will be well :D

now i have what looks like a radiator failure. do the 8v gti rads fit or is that wishful thinking on my part? if not where can i get a new rad? thanks