Sign in to follow this  
Rolyg60

G60 poor starting hall sender?

Hi i have done a quick search on this and suspect the hall sender but just want to clarify a few points.

My g60 will start fine from cold then as soon as its running for about 10 secs will die.

When you try to start it again it will turn over quickly with no indication of the sparkplugs firing then after an age it will pick up on one or two cylinders and run lumpy until slowly all four cylinders kick in. It started doing this occasionaly but now does it every morning and evening. You can get round it if your quick and boot it as soon as its running it still runs rough but wont die.

As well as this i have noticed a knock from the engine bay which has only stated happening since this problem got worse Is my dizzy dying?

Also the car has died going down the motorway and then picked up again and this morning although the car was running fine the rev counter suddenly dropped to zero and then popped back up to 2000 revs any ideas.? before i blow £75.00 on a dizzy?

I seriously doubt if it's your distributor/hall sender. If they die the car dies and won't run at all.

The fact that your rev counter dropped suggests either a complete loss of power or a loss of power to the ecu.

Does it start and run ok when hot? ie does this just happen when the engine is cold?

Could be something as simple as your blue temp sender playing up - could be heavy overfuelling? Mine used to overfuel & die in the mornings until I replaced that sender.

I don't reckon the BTS would kill the rev counter. I am leaning towards the hall sender and ECU relay. Realy first based on cost and ease of replacement.

The G60 dissy is the same as an 8Valve PB engine, so don't pay extra for one cos it's going on a G60.

Often seen them on ebay.

Gavin

ive got a very similar problem and it typically does it when its cold. which relay is the ecu relay?

Rob

which relay is the ecu relay?

Number 3. That's the third one on the upper row from the left of the main relay section (not the 2 top rows, which are so to speak bolted onto the main relay/fuse box).

Tempest

The G60 dissy is the same as an 8Valve PB engine, so don't pay extra for one cos it's going on a G60.

Often seen them on ebay.

Gavin

Dependant on year of manufacture, surely? I thought there was some differences between the ignition systems PB & PG.

I've seen rev counters stop and start up again for no apparent reason on C's that run perfectly, so it might not be related.

Not when I looked on ETKA. The PG is only a low compression PB. The dissy just lets the ECU know where the engine is pointing. :D

Gavin :D

Actually it also distributes current to the spark plugs :wink:

I was more on about the differences between early 25pin and late 38pin digifant, but if Etka says the same dizzy for 8v's and g60's of all years, cool.

hi sorry to take so long to reply! seem to spend my life at work Probably to pay for all the corrados little probs .that car is definetly female.

The prob seems to not always occour when the car is cold yesterday it started fine and ran ok but hiccupped on the way home but still ran fine the knocking i think is a loose alarm unit. The blue temp sensor has recently been changed for new. but i have swapped it over for the guage unit but haven`t had time to test it. yet as the oil cooler hose has split and dumped oil over the drive hopefully gett chance to do it tommorrow. I Know that the car overfuels slightly as it needs setting up but this prob has only recently started occouring and seems to be getting worse pointing to a component failing. This fault seems to be exactly the same as yours rob. lets hope we can sort it.

so far ive changed the blue temp sensor, ECU relay, starter motor, dizzy, cap rotor arm and alas, she still doesnt want to play!

when i can eventually get it started, by turning it over for about half an hour, it runs fine and will be sweet for the rest of the day.

ran alot better yesterday after changing the dizzy but this morning it fired up once then died, then flat starting tone again. cant figure this one out!!!

Rob

That happened my car (8v Mk2 golf) last August and it took me until christmas to figure it out. Like you I changed every electronic component on the car to no avail.

I eventually traced the problem to the pressure release valve in the oil pump being stuck shut. When starting the car from cold the pressure went so high that it pumped the tappets wide open so the valves couldn't close and the car lost compression and died.

Like your car if I left it running until it warmed up it would be fine for the rest of the day as the pressure would have dropped as the engine warmed up.

So get an oil pressure test done and see, you never know it could be your problem. You should see the valve kick in on the gauge at around 90psi. Mine was going to over 200 at which point the engine was dying. New oil pump and it has been perfect since.

that is a good call my man, will fit a new pump asap!!

it does sound like a feasable option

Rob

Don't go fitting a new pump until you know that's the problem, just get an oil pressure tester on it and see if the valve is kicking in when it should.

RolyG60, I had something similar happen with my G60 last year. Suddenly everything died, only to come back on a second later. It only did it a couple of time but when it did, that second felt like a long time when doing 60.... It also had problems with cutting out after starting from cold. Turned out to be one of the wires for the ISV had burnt through where it ran close to the manifold - at least since I found the burnt through wire and replaced it the problem hasn't reappeared. Hope that helps...

ive got changing the oil pump down to 1 hour!! not bad going as i dont have a set of ramps i think!the proof will be in the mornin if she starts.

just started to gently apply some boost tonight :shocked!:

goes like a rocket!!

Rob

HI Solved the prob turned out to be the hall sensor. thought it was so went to gsf to get one but unfortunatly they didn`t have one. drove it that day and it finally died on the a38 in the outside lane, Managed to get into the layby ok. RAC was there within 15 min unfortunatly had to wait 2 hours for the recovery truck because it was lowered!! Could`nt get a dizzy from anywhere but thank god for the scrappers. Its running now but need to stick a strobe light on it to get right.

well done mate, hopefully all will be cured now if you get it timed up!

i hope mine is cured now aswell, all seems to be going good after changing the oil pump touch wood