Sign in to follow this  
MattyB

ITR -> VR6?

Hi all :)

Currently driving an ITR which I've had for about 6 months. Great car, but unfortunately I've not really bonded with it :( Think I'm a bit of a VAG man at heart and the Jap motors just not doing it for me. Absoultey awesome when your "on it" but the 95% of the time when conditions/roads don't allow, it feels too...ordinary I suppose.

I've been thinking about swapping it for a VR6. Wanted one years ago but insurance wouldn't allow. So went for a LupoGTi, then Elise S160, then Integra, and I'm back at the VR6 again :lol:

I'm aware of the performance of both - so this isn't a which is faster question- more of a running costs, reliability, desirability, usability, driver enjoyments and the good old MPG (currently getting 25-27mpg from the Teg through town/b-road driving)

I did a search on the forum and found one person who'd gone from Teg -> VR6, and said that as much as he loved the Corrado he wished he'd have kept the Teg....

So although I'm going to get some biased opinions on a Corrado forum ;) I'm hoping for some balanced arguements, especially from those who's experience the Teg from the driving seat....

Thanks all :)

The biggest notice between the two IMO are the technologies of both of the cars.

Where the ITR will be more advanced because it is newer, and the VR6 less because it is an older car.

Performance-wise, there wont be much in it as you probably notice yourself.

Looks and sound wise, the VR6 just beats the ITR all over, I do have a lot of respect for the ITR, but a Corrado for me is more unique ( Of course, it is slightly biased ;) :) )

You'll see a lot of people on here saying their VR6 has been brilliant and noever caused major problems which is true, but I said major. Worse thing about a Corrado to me is the way little things break, like the doorhandles or sunroof not tilting/sliding so you need to have patience when you have one.

Also Here is the buyers guide if you haven't seen it.

Tough one.

I love the VTEC lumps, but the VR is a different beast, it is more progressive than pure balls out adrenaline like the Tegs. It's strange that you say you haven't bonded with it, everyone I know who has had one loved them, especially my friend who had one with a turbo conversion.

I'd say take one for a drive to see what you think.

Tough decision for you, as has already been said they are very different cars. Prior to Corrados I had two Racing Pumas which in many ways were very similar to the ITR, at one point I had both my G60 Rado and a FRP, I chose to sell the FRP and have not regretted it for a minute.

Every day usage I reckon you'll love the VR6, when you really want the full on thrill you'll miss the ITR

MattyB, Have you tried a small pulley'd G60? They have loads of power low down in the revs and are frantic compared to the refined VR which can be ore fun imo.

I loved my mates ITR jap import 14.56 1/4 mile but know what you mean about on/off performance. For me the G60 is a good compromise between thrills and usability.

Hi Matty, I've done the change in the opposite direction, '93 VR6 to 2000 ITR. They do drive quite differently, the VR6 is more of a cruiser than the Teg, a LOT quieter and much more refined at motorway speeds. I reckon the VR is probably a bit more heavy on petrol (I don't drive the Teg at 8K + all the time!). The VR6 does have a very nice snarl when you rev it, but personally I love the F1-alike VTEC scream :twisted:

Peformance wise there's not a lot in it in normal driving conditions, the torque of the VR means you don't need to rev it in the way you do in the Teg. That also makes it easier to drive in town, and it's also easier to overtake in. You might miss the VTEC kick though!

The Teg is a fair bit lighter, but is also a good bit bigger than the Corrado. The chassis is quite a bit stiffer, but the VR still has a lovely fluid chassis - not as fast point to point but still a very nice drive. Standard brakes on the ITR are MUCH better than the Corrado's.

I found I was spending a fair amount on maintenance with the Corrado, where the ITR has been absolutely bulletproof. Don't expect the same levels of reliability!

How did you enjoy the Elise by the way? That's the direction I'm heading in for my next car...

Thanks for the responses all...you've all confirmed what I expected about the differences. Had a good read through the buying guide too, thanks for the link.

My main gripe is the fact that to enjoy the Teg you need to be going absolutely balls-out, off the limiter, sideways on to really get the most out of it. And when you do, it really is brilliant. I've never driven a FWD that revels in going sideways so much. But for me, living in the city I very rarely get a chance to exploit it unless I head out towards Wales or get it on track - so I'm after a car thats enjoyable at 5/10s rather than the 9/10ths. I was hoping the Corrado might provide that!

As for the Elise...I'm not sure you should get me started ;) Absolutely loved and adored my Elise, and if my financial (and practicality) situation allowed, I'd be down the dealers right now purchasing another.

Owned my S160 for 2 years and despite using it daily in all conditions, I never ever got tired of driving it. Every drive was an experience, everyday you learnt a little bit more about it. Summer days with the roof down, the exhaust blaring a beautiful note and that awesome chassis and steering meant you felt like the only time you wanted to stop driving was when the tank was empty.

My S160 was a fairly rare and track orientated derivative - crap around town due to being setup to have all its power at the top end, so it idle's at about 1200rpm when warm and it "hunted" - made it sound fantastic though, a sort of wap-wap-wap noise that other owners paid money to emulate! But despite the power setup, it was still enjoyable at sane speeds - which is my main gripe I have with the Teg....

Honestly - when you get the chance - buy one...you wont regret it one single bit. You'll be grinning like a crazy man everytime you fire it up. I'm after a an S2 135R next time around - I'd prefer an S1 Exige, but they're even more compromised and I'm not sure I'd like thought of not being able to remove the roof.

Piccies here:

http://www.evoposters.net/carsa/album120/Elise6

http://www.evoposters.net/carsa/album120/Elise3

Some nice cars you have in those collections :thumbleft:

I know what you mean about the S1 Exige, they do look fantastic. I had a ride in someone I know's S2 Exige on track last weekend and it was just stunning. Can't quite afford one of them, but considering something along the lines of a 135R or possibly even a VXT would be nice 8)

From everything you've said, I think you'll enjoy the luxuries of the VR, it took me a while to adjust from my Corrado, the refinement, the silky smoothness and the lack of noise. As an all-rounder I don't think you can beat the VR6 - check out the buyers guide in evo magazine if you can, they summed it up in pretty much the same terms.

Cheers,

Jamie

As for the Elise...I'm not sure you should get me started ;) Absolutely loved and adored my Elise, and if my financial (and practicality) situation allowed, I'd be down the dealers right now purchasing another.

Well that's the way I feel about my ITR DC5 (and it sounds like my earlier post you're discussing further up this thread!). To slightly widen the debate, if the choice you're making is between a DC2 and a VR I'd go with the latter because I felt the DC2 to be just that little too raw and I have to agree with the comments made above about the merits of the VR - however, as already stated, if it were between a DC5 and a VR...

VXT's are absolute bargains... I looked at the N/A VX's, but I'm too much of a badge snob, and at the time I just wanted the "I own a Lotus" feeling :)

I don't recall the EVO buying guide on the VR6? What issue was it in? I might have a dig through my back issues...

And I do love the DC5 - the guy I bought my DC2 off had just bought one. Lovely looking cars, great spec and a bargain price considering whats on offer.

I guess the best thing for me to do is to find some VR6's locally and go and have a poke around :) Thanks for the all information!

The evo article is quite an old one, January 2000 (I happen to have a copy lying here!). I bought my copy off ebay. The article is supposedly about the best 10K used car - they put the VR6 up against the TVR S3, Clio Williams 2 and Porsche 944 Turbo. Good article, and very favourable towards the Corrado!

Yep, the VXT is a great deal, you can get them for about 16K now, which for the performance is unbeatable. That's one option, the other is the 3.9% deal that Lotus are doing at the moment on the Elise 111R and Exige... Seriously tempted, watch for me selling my kidneys on ebay :lol: