Sign in to follow this  
gus16v

mystery rattle?????? HELP PLEASE

My 1.8 16v corrado has a rattle from the drivers side engine bay, could this be cam belt tensioner or water pump pulley or anthing else??

The water pump pulley has some side to side movement but not sure if that's it.

If it is the water pump pulley will this fail or is it ok to drive with till it can be fixed???

ant help would be nice, cheers :D

funly enough mate I have just returned from a 1500 mile trip to scotland and discovered half way through the trip a rattle i would say is very similar to yours. It seems worse at low speeds and idling at lights etc but ok on the motorway.

anyway got home no problem.

Not had time to locate the problem yet but would be interested to see what response you get.

I also have a 1.8 16v by the way!

it looks like the water pump pully shim is worn and the pully is rattlling in the front pully, need to get a shim sorted, should get rid of the noise.

most VW pulleys have shims as a way of achieving belt tension rather than the conventional tensioner arm an bolt. The one in question I think is a spacer shim between two pulleys water pump and alt belts run on it!

ahhh brilliant. this could be it as its exactly the area where the rattle is coming from!

I will check it out

Cheers

Check all the bolts for the alternator, pumps etc.. I once had a rattle I could not get rid of for love nor money on my G60, but eventually discovered it was the alternator bolt was loose

Jay