Sign in to follow this  
matth76

2nd hand 268 cams - question about condition

How good are "Eurospec" 268 cams? They are half the price of Shrick cams but I've been told they are basically copies of Shrick cams. Are Eurospec cams very good quality and will they produce similar linear power outputs that Shrick cams do (as opposed to other cheaper makes of cams which only produce increases high up the rev range)?

Is it risky going for second hand cams or should I only go for brand new ones? I have found someone selling theirs that are 8 months old with 2k miles on them.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks. Are Eurospec a good quality make... are they better than Piper or Kent cams and as good as Shrick?

eurospec are top quality stuff!

they even made a new head for the G60 block

Ok... I've just bought second hand 268 Eurospec cams for a golf vr6. I have been told they have done approximately 2k miles. They are silvery grey and I have noticed there are some random grooves/nicks right all the way down one of them... it looks as though it is from wear and tear, and also some strange reddish speckling on one of the 'lobes' where it would normally be silver... my question is will cams normally have a some scuffs and nicks like this etc if they have done around 2k miles?.. I assume they will if they are right in the head of the engine... but need to find out what these nicks are all the way down one of them.

Also should the word "Eurospec" be written anywhere on the cams?

Thanks for any help.

Hi guys, thanks for your messages. There doesn't seem to be any wear on the lobes themselves (although there is some strange red colouration/speckling where it would normally be silver - not sure what this is) but the actual grooves/nicks (which are only the size of the end of a small screwdriver, are all the way down the actual cam length.. the other cam length seems fine. I will take some pics when the weather clears here and post a link..it may be a day or so though. If the cams are ok for use I will be certainly using new followers/tappets...is this a good idea or will it make the wear on the cams worse?