Sign in to follow this  
longman

dodgy steering

i think this problem has been discussed before but i need to clarify it. My 1.8 16v 1991 J has got 17" OZ wheels but when driving on un-even roads the steering wanders where it wants. also sometimes it feels like theres a lot of wobbling or something lose in the steering. The tracking is fine as its good on flat roads and doesn't wander. Is it the wishbone bushes? or maybe the wheels being so wide???

My C has exactly the same symptoms. 17" Borbets.

Makes me feel a wee bit nervous sometimes :shock:

Uneveness is called tramlining, and is caused by having larger, wider rims. This happens on all cars, and is a side effect of the larger wheels.

Its just the extra width picking up on uneven camber of the roads

Not sure about the wobbling - could be something loose - best bet is to pop into a garage and ask em to have a look.

Should do it for a packet of biscuits if there not too busy :wink:

that is tramlining. What happens is to the rest is the harder tyres transfer stress to other places, primarily suspension, topmounts, bushes, cv joints(due to angle change)

Id replace my top mounts. they only cost bout 40 for a set. tightens up all vw greatly and eliminates some noise.

Euro Car Parts list these at £13+vat.

I am thinking of the right thing aren't I. Top of the front suspension strut, the bit with three bolts that you access from within the engine bay???

dont know but does this make a differnece then as mine is extremely noisy alot of bangs when going over road imperfections and there is a lot in basingstoke bloody council. just wondering if theres anymore bushes i should change to improve to ride??

Lee

Pearl Green G60 (with oettinger grill!) :mad: " so you like the grill now then lol!

yes you are thinking of the right parts mate! at the top of the strut...

you wanna check tramlining come for a ride in my c with the 9-16"s on! i get tramlining on those wheels when there is an uneven road surface otherwise not to bad at all i think most wider arter market wheels giva a degree of tramlining....

To get to your top strut mounts, you'll have to jack your C up and slide out the shocks. The top strut mounts are attached to the top of the shocks. I replaced mine when I did all my shocks and springs(the old top strut mounts were shagged to the point that the bearing housing had been chrushed!). It made a huge difference, but unfortunatly I still have moments when my C wants to steer itself. I think its down to a mixture of the camber in the road, big rims, and worn suspension bushes, but I am yet to get an expert to have a look.

Post up how you get on.

In order to fit new top mounts you must remove the strut.

First you need a allen key think its 8 and a swan neck spanner usually 17 or 19. crack the top nut in the recess under the bonnet-dont remove it.This is fixed at the bottom with 2 big bolts, these are not easy to get out if they are original. spray um up but still, ithink vw put sum stuff on the threads-cut um off n wind just a few theads n get new ones. If ur on std setup not coilovers youll need spring clamps-clamp the spring under a bit of tension as there is tension at std to do damage. now the strut should be hanging loose. remove the top nut n metal cap n u should be able to remove the strut. To remove the top mount you need a tool to remove the collar that holds the top mount on. or a screwdriver n hammer(its not easy) once the collar is off the top mount will lift off. It doesnt bolt thru the car like a mk1 does its clamped. remove mount fit new and new collar n rebuild. takes about 2 hours to do. 1hr with air tools.

G60 mounts n VR ones are to be used. with a valve id go G60 as vr run differnt castor i think n handling isnt as sharp. not too sure on that one but my G60 ones are fine with the coilovers.

Got mine from GCC. was waiting for bonraths n waiting n waiting... in the end i went for FEBI uprated G60 items. they're cheap cos the mk2 uses the same ones

I started to get tramlining when I moved from the original Pirelli's to avons. Not a lot but on the occasional road surface. The Avon's come a bit further over the alloy than the originals did and I would suspect they have more contact with the road hence the above.

ker Plunk 2p in the bowl

Steering was pretty hairy today driving to a relatives in Warwick.. its not wheel bearings, the tracking is definately OK, so I reckon it must be bushes. I think I will get Stealth to check it out when I get my service done at the end of the month.

Anyone have any idea new bushes would cost inclusive of labour roughly?

:)

we got snow lots of it like most n i find that a quick spin in 1st n 2nd then into 3rd is ok for traction...sometimes...or 4th

Only room for one car on my street so not great at the best of times and if you give it to much run the risk of leaving the print of a C in the side of someones car. Second gear a lot of clutch :( and just let it run on idel not the most pleasent of experiances but job done.