Sign in to follow this  
merkaba22

Timing chain guide noise

I have been reading the posts on this issue and would like some advice about what to include with this repair as these guides are getting noisy on my '93 Corrado VR6 now.

It has 156k on it and the clutch was replaced at 103k and the the head gasket at 99k. It burns about a liter of oil every 2k miles.

I have seen that the oil o-rings are cheap and easy and that VW does not feel that timing chains need to be replaced only guides, etc. What about wholesale replacement of valve springs and/or lifters, etc.

Also, I read there is a Updated kits for OBDI (1996 and earlier) cars using newer style guide rail and tensioner bolts form MJM and I wonder if there are pro and cons on these kits v the original style.

What is the opinion on just finding a low milage replacemnt motor; and if so recommended, anything I need to know to get the right one -- any suggestion for sources in LA?

And anyone to do the work in LA?

Have a read of the artical in the knowledge base if you've not already...

It is the tensioners/guides that wear but if you have gone as far as to replace these it would be silly not to replace the actual chain itself with the gearbox etc off. The mk4 guides are a solid material and whilst they still wear, they will not suddenly start chewing up the chain like the originals.