Sign in to follow this  
Baz2004

Idling heavy

My 1.8 16V has started to idle above 1200 when warm recently. It starts from cold fine idling around 1000rpm but when in traffic and warm it idles high.

I have recently replaced the ISV for different reasons (cutting out at low speed) and I have also removed the front heat shield as it was rattling and annoying the crap put of me. I also put in a mocal cooler recently.

I haven’t tried adjusting the throttle body yet but I figure it may not make a huge difference as it idles well when cold. I wouldn’t say my temps are high either when it happens 98-100 oil and 80-85 water.

It seems to revert back to 1000ish when driven on the mororway/open road but I cant say I’ve noticed it in the past idling high in traffic.

I also replaced the idle stabilisation switch attached to the head when it this was disconnected it ran over 3000 rpm when idle!

Would removing the front heat shield cause this to happen?

im wondering if your tempurature sensor on the side of the head may have given up the ghost

at 20degrees = 1000ohms

at 60degrees = 250ohms

at 100degrees = 75ohms

you may need to set up basic idle too.

further details are in the haynes manual but if you still have trouble let us know