Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Late heater controls into an early car

Ive got all the parts needed to convert my cars early style heater controls to later dial type.

only thing is now is which bowden cable goes to which control toggle, both on the dials and on the air distributer fan.

also what is the electrical wiring for the control? my old plug wont fit into the new socket so need to rewire it. pictures would be most helpfull

thanks

erm... that doesnt help.

i need to find out which bowden cable goes to which flap and control

and i need to know what electrical wires go to which plug

I have the ssme problem as I am fitting a late dash in a couple of weeks. The old style setup had two connectors one for the lights within the panel and one for the heater speed switch. On the late there is only one connector with i beleive five connector. Now I am going to fit some of the blue light piping round the heater knobs to light them up, although i am worries that the wires I have left might not work for the heater speed controls.

I have also in the middle of doing this. I have only just sourced the heater silder wires though, as for the wires, I just replaced the loom, I can show you where about it is if you guys want, its really easy to find.

Passenger side about shin hight without the dash shell. its easy enough to trace back.

Did you have any luck with this? I've just been looking again. Managed to get some bowden cables from a mk3 and some of them fit. just need to find another broke mk3 as it seems noone will send you or give you the bowden cables from a late car!

well i have half done the conversion, using new bowden cables. roughly £10 each.

only thing i got left is the wiring. thats one of many things on my list

its the bowden cables I'm having a problem with, I guess I'll just have to shell out for new ones. You want me to take a pic of the new connectors and wireing?

if you could that would be great. i bought new cus i reckon they'll last longer and will move freely. second hand ones are a bit of a gamble

if you have trouble, theres a few mk3's at my local scrappy. if you need ill get them for you. no extra charge just the cost of buying them from the place and p&p. and when i go down next

Haven't been on in a while just came to post pictures but looks like I've been beat to it!

Your right about the bowden cables, I have no worry about them breaking either if I get new ones so I guess I'll do that! Hope you get everything working in your dash! Seems I'm having problems with the fog lights now after I plugged the loom in :\

Did you manage to wire in the late window adjustor or have you got an entire loom. The loom which I got was already chopped so I just have the end connector and the old wires to go by. nightmare! :wink:

i have managed to sort out all the wiring for windows, mirrors, heater controls and later sunroof motor. so i will post details asap.

Ive also done the later swithes which where damn easy due to the coulours maching on both later and early models. even easier fitting the headlamp switch due to the plug being the same on both.