Sign in to follow this  
onlyG60ing

Upgrade to a 16 valve

I just bought another engine for my corrado g60, and I am planning to turn it to a 16 valve and install it . did any one do this procedure ?.and most of all any significant increase in horse power?

from kk's site (http://www.kompressorkanada.ca/howto/16vG60.htm):

16vG60 Conversion

READ FIRST - This is by no means a complete how-to on a 16v g60 conversion. This is just advice and guidance. We are not legally responsible for the information that is contained here. If through the process you come up with any further advice please forward it to us so that we can add it to this list.

The best source of info on this conversion is the 16vg60 group on yahoo http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/16vG60/

I'm going on the assumption that you have a 16v (with alt, dist, exhaust manifold) and a G60 engine with charger, bracket, tubing and digifant)

Parts needed

1) alt doesn't fit in stock location. You have to options here, under the G60 or on the back of the block. I chose to do it under the G60, I recommend doing in on the back of the block, it's a real pain in the arse to try and get in under the G60, there is no room. You will need 2 mounting pieces for the back of the head/rear motor mount. Here are the specs for one of them, the other just comes straight up from the rear motor mount.

2) With alt in different spot, serpentine belt needs changing. With alt under G60, you need an idler pulley between waterpump and alt to get grip on the waterpump (belt goes right across from crank) and you can use a 8v timing belt tensioner for tension, mounted where the old tensioner swing arm used to be.

If you have the alt on the back of the block, then you just need to make a small bracket to hold the tension spring in it's new location.

3) Crank pulley - G60 timing gear is narrower than the 16v one and offsets the G60 crank pulley. Get an 2L 8v crank pulley and get it shaved 6mm.

4) waterpump pulley - get one from a G60 Passat with no AC, fits there perfectly.

5) Fuel rail and injectors. You'll need an aftermarket fuelrail *available from Kompressor Kanada*. Get some #30 Bosch redtops to fuel the car. You will also need G60 injector inserts to put into the intake manifold.

6) Scirocco 16v intake manifold is a must.

7) Digifant - need to get custom chip, talk to Dave at KK, he does SNS chips here in Canada and they can cut you a 16vG60 chip with 30# injectors. You will also need to change the watertemp sensor, I have the part number somewhere. Make sure that you can mount the CO pot into the upper IC tube. Digifant MAP vacuum tube MUST be 1 metre exactly.

8) Intake elbow - custom part, I have a diagram for one, needed to clear distributor.

9) recirc tube, needs to be shortened...although I recommend removing it altogether and capping the charger off.

10) coolant hoses - mix and match of G60 and 16v, upper rad hose needs to be lengthened. If going into Mk2, 16v set should work fine as motor came in that car.

11) Compression, 16v engines have way to much for forced induction. I used stacked gaskets, you can either use forged pistons or a KK provided ABA metal gasket.

12) Spark plugs, Bosch F5DSR or F5DP Plugs.

13) Crank case breather in is now in the block, not the head, so you'll need to route that.

14) Block need to be drilled for G60 oil return line.

15) put in an A/F and boost gauge to round out the swap.

thanks to Jerome aka mailto:[email protected] for the 16VG60 conversion information.

and because i'm feeling especially nice (and i don't want to do actual WORK yet...) click on some of the thumbnails below...

ya its a pretty involved process. not for the faint of heart.

after all the work involved and considering the high-reving nature of the 16v engine, i still think its better to go 16vT despite being a hardcore g-lader fan. of course i've never done either... so what do i know?? :lol:

thats way more than a vr6.... what is the price for a g60 16v engine in the UK.

the price is also alot more than a vr6 for the price of the 16vg60 engine you could by a tired vr6 corrado

your regular 8v G60 can romp a VR6 with some well-executed mods. for a 2.9L 6-cyl flagship engine (until the W8/W12) the VR6 is horribly under-powered IMHO. the 2.8L they send over here is even worse. vw have had to detune faster engine setups *cough* 1.8T *cough* as to not out-shine the higher-priced VR6. why do you think the 1.8T gains an easy 30-40hp from a re-chip?

good luck finding a 16vG60 to buy (no sarcasm intended)! won't be easy to find and it won't be cheap!

It is hard to find any part for a corrado in my country, I am not sure if I ll even get a 16v g60 engine.

another question.

what is the corrado storm? is it the best corrado there is?what engine does it have?and why is it more expensive than all the rest of corrado's.

storm is a limited edition. other than an exclusive paint code, leather and a badge (oh and higher purchase cost)... its a regular VR6. easy to fake storms so check into its authenticity if you're looking at one.

research your options before you do anything crazy. if its hard for you to get parts i'd say you should stick with the 8vG60. have you had the charger ported/rebuilt, pulley, chip, front mount intercooler, exhaust, cam, ported head, big injectors, yadda yadda? lotta power to be had there with upgrades.

well once they stop making them ya... but storms were rolled out from day one as FIVE HUNDRED ONLY were they not? i wouldn't say a honduh civic is a limited edition!! :lol:

There is a charger rebuilt kit on ebay that is being sold for 175$(us), I think i will get it and do the rebuilt myself. I HOPE IT WILL BE EASY... 8) .

DON'T DO IT (imho)

but if you decide to tackle a rebuild... don't buy the kit off ebay for shit sakes.

if you do just the rebuild you probably wont notice much performance gain unless it was in rough shape before the rebuild. the porting is where the power comes from... and its not the porting you can see either, its porting the internals. do you have the experience to port the internals of a supercharger? do you have a bearing press? i thought the same as you until i wised up, sent a paycheck over to dave a kompressorkanada and he did a full rebuild/port (scroll to stage 4 picture): http://www.kompressorkanada.ca/glader/rebuild.htm

i know for damn sure i couldn't do that so nice... and that's one of the easier parts of the rebuld/porting. not sure, maybe you are skilled in this area. just trying to share experience.

oh, and even though my charger is on their site i am not affiliated with kompressorkanada or any other professional glader rebuilder!!! :lol: :lol: 8)

that said... if you decide to have the charger professionally rebuilt and ported, daz is ur man! he can also sort out a proper OEM rebuild kit if you decide to tackle it yourself. http://www.g-werks.com or username '8vG60' on here :D

thats with kompressor kanada yes. i paid canadian cash tho so it was more then that for me!

talk to daz, he can probably sort you a better deal as he's in UK and parts/knowledgable mechanics are more widely available in europe. you get what you pay for and you dont want to grenade that charger!!!!

the corrado storm is a limited edtion corrado, only 500 made, it came with different wheels, mystic blue or dragon green paint and leather interior, the engine is a standard vr6

ahem......Classic green btw :wink:

you have probably seen this

Check these out

http://www.gtiworld.fsnet.co.uk/16V_G60.htm

http://www.bahnbrenner.com/bbmservices/16v.html

VW Motorsport gave us just a glimpse of the power a supercharged 16V engine can produce. VW Motorsport custom built only seventy 1.8 liter, 16 valve, G60 Supercharged "GTI Limited" cars. These Supercharged 16V Golf's are not to be confused with the 8V G60 Rally Golf cars, as they are much more rare and powerful.

This racing effort was sought to maximize the performance from the VW 4-cylinder engine for use on the Rally circuit. Combining 16V engine parts, custom parts and the 16V cylinder head with a G60 G-Lader supercharger makes for an extremely wide and powerful torque band. This engine combination delivers incredible performance per liter. VW Motorsport no longer offers any components for the Limited 16V-G60 engine making it difficult to duplicate, until now. BBM has all of the integration parts in limited quantity to make this extreme 4-cylinder powerhouse an easy bolt on.

By utilizing advanced computer aided engineering and manufacturing techniques BBM now makes a limited kit available in this turn key package. BBM has taken the Limited 16V-G60 concept a few steps farther by engineering several versions giving you the flexibility to choose one of several base engine block platforms and superchargers.

BBM has designed these limited kits to use either a VW G60 G-Lader or BBM Screw Compressor Supercharger, hence the BBM Supercharged-16V. The free revving 16V engine with its highly efficient cylinder head with supercharger delivers a seriously healthy power curve throughout the extended RPM range. Forget VW Motorsport's "Limited" version, consider your Supercharged -16V "UNLIMITED" Without the race class engine restrictions imposed upon the original 16V Limited. You can specify your base engine, choice of supercharger and kit "Options" to maximize the power of this unique and rare configuration.

Applications and Combinations (top)

This section is to define what is required and the best way for you to go about building your BBM 16V Supercharged engine.

Key Point: The BBM 16V Supercharged engine setup is a blend of parts from two engine platforms. Combining G60 parts and 16V parts with our custom integration package completes the system.

There are basically two ways to go about building your Supercharged 16V engine. If you currently have a G60 1.8 Liter engine you will be needing parts from the 16V 1.8 or 16V 2.0 Liter engine to complete the system. Vice versa, if you currently have a 16V 1.8 or 2.0 Liter engine as your base then you will need parts from the G60 engine platform. No matter what platform you start with you will need to round up an intake manifold off of a 16V Scirocco engine. If you happened to have acquired a complete 16V Scirocco engine, then you can consider getting the intake manifold as a bonus.

Build Option #1 (G60 As Your Base Engine): No matter what engine platform you start with as your base, the best way is to build up an engine with custom pistons and the correct compression ratio for this boosted application. If you want your base to be the G60 engine platform using the G60 block, rods and crank. You will have to use custom pistons with correctly cut value relief's and the right compression ratio for boost. BBM has these custom pistons in a limited quantity.

Required 16V Parts:

· Custom BBM low compression 16V pistons for use in the G60 block

· 16V Cylinder head complete

· 16V Scirocco Intake manifold lower and upper

· 16V Distributor, complete

· 16V Distributor Block off plate complete

· 16V oil pump, complete

· 16V Secondary shaft and gears complete

· 16V Timing belt and gears, complete

· 16V Exhaust Manifold or 16V Header

Build Option #2 (16V As Your Base Engine): If your starting base engine is the 16V platform then you can use a thicker copper head gasket to achieve a lower compression ratio for use with the boost. This is not the best or correct way to generate the proper compression ratio on any engine, although it is a simple and less expensive route. The preferred method on the 16V base engine is to also use custom pistons with the correct compression ratio for this Supercharged system. BBM has these custom pistons in a limited quantity.

Required G60 Parts:

· G60 G-Lader Supercharger or BBM Screw Compressor Supercharger

· G60 G-Lader mounting brackets and belt tensioner complete

· G-Lader outlet (silencer box) or BBM RSR outlet kit

· G60 Serpentine / idler pulleys for water pump and alternator

· G60 AC pump or European water pump pulley

· G60 Throttle body, complete

· G60 Fuel Injectors and FPR

· G60 Idle stabilizer valve (ISV)

· G60 Digifant1 ECU and engine wire harness

· G60 Digifant control relay

· G60 Oxygen sensor