Sign in to follow this  
corradostuff

Spoiler Problem

I've got a 16valver which I bought a couple of months ago. I'm loving it (its my first one).

Anyway the spoiler doesn't work. The guy I bought it off said that in the winter when the spoiler was going up and down, it kept blowing the fuse for the sunroof. So he cut the wiring to the spoiler near the mechanism! Probably not the best idea but his wife wanted the sunroof more than the spoiler!!

Has anyone heard of anything like this or had it happen to them?

I'm going to see if I can reconnect the wiring up and get it working again, but obviously there's no point if it causes fuses to blow. Any ideas?

He could have been telling porkies, the motor might be knackered or something so wondered if its happened to anyone else and how to fix it.

Cheers

If it works for a bit (ie doesn't blow straight away) it's usually down to excess current being drawen - work out motors will do this but it's more likely to be resistance in the mechanism for the spoiler...

Connect it back up and check the roof works, then try the spoiler manually - if it seems to be ok then spray some silicon spray on the spoiler guides when up and see how it goes...

I'd advise you carry a spare fuse as you know it will blow when you have the roof open and it starts to rain :lol:

If it's a 15amp then you could try a 20 if it keeps blowing - I wouldn't usually recommend this but VW changed the spoiler fuse from a 15 to a 20 thru production to prevent this very problem (if it blows a 20 tho then you have a problem with the motor or a short somewhere)

Sorry for bringing this up again but its been giving me lots of grief. 2 problems -

I don't know which way round the wires go into the motor mechanism and I can't get one of them in cos its so hard to reach. I've got a red and a black with female connectors and two male connectors on the bottom of the motor to attach them to. Anyone know which way round they go? Also one is really hidden away behind the tranny, how on earth do you get the wire on it!!

2nd problem is the manual override switch on the tranny. It won't pull out. The plastic part just comes off the metal switch bit and the metal part won't come out at all. So I can't raise the spoiler manually to get the mechanism out to look at it!

Please Help!!!

Anyway the spoiler doesn't work. The guy I bought it off said that in the winter when the spoiler was going up and down, it kept blowing the fuse for the sunroof. So he cut the wiring to the spoiler near the mechanism! Probably not the best idea but his wife wanted the sunroof more than the spoiler!!

im having similar problem manually my spoiler works but it wnt go up when you exceed 38mph (i think it is). why, please help me.feels like half the corrado experience

I've sorted my spoiler out over the weekend and it's now working exactly as it should. The red wire went on the really hard to reach connector (after ages!), the black went on the visible connector. I sprayed the spoiler pillars with silicone lubricating spray stuff to make it easier on the motor and I've uprated the fuse and all is cool.

Gaz1000, your problem sounds similar but it could be a bit different. When you say it works manually, do you mean using the switch in the dash? Or does it only work by pulling the override button out at the spoiler motor end and raising it that way?

If it only works manually with the oveerride knob it could be the wiring or the fuse. I'd try changing the fuse to a 20 amp. Someone on the forum advised me to do this as the old Corrados use 15amp fuses for the spoiler but VW uprated this to 20amp on more recent cars cos of this problem. It's worked with mine. The fuse for the spoiler is the 16th one along from the left.

If it only works with the override knob then it'll also be worth checking the wiring is all plugged in properly at the spoiler motor end. If you've raised it manually, just check in there that the wires are plugged in to the motor, mine weren't.

If you can raise it with the switch on the dash then it could be the mechanism that tells the spoiler to lift at the right speed that's the problem. (Mine goes up at 45mph). I haven't checked this on mine as its ok, but I've read on here before that there is an electrical component of some sort that does this. This is located inside the dash just above the spoiler switch on the dash so you'd have to take the fuse box cover off and try and get to it from behind.

Otherwise there could be a problem with the motor itself. There is a good link on here on how to dismantle and clean the motor mechanism bits which might help. First of all though I'd check the fuse and wiring etc as thats an easy fix. Let us know how you get on and I'll try and help if I can as I've had a smile on my face since getting it sorted!! :D