Sign in to follow this  
dan

At last they arrived

Hi all,

Well on Saturday I finally got the call to go and collect my new Azev A rims :)

Left for the 105mile round trip & brought back my lovely new rims. Got new rubber on them & fitted them myself, well the back ones anyway. The front rims will not fit as they're hitting the callipers :x . The supplier said that he is sending me some spacers to see if they will solve the problem.

What should I do? should I tell him I want the proper wheel offset or are spacers ok?

The wheels he gave me are 7.5 x 16" with a 30mm offset, also the box was marked 'VW VR6'!

Anyone know what the offset should be with the Azev A rim??

I bought them from a local Wheel supplier in N Ireland called 'Tyre & Safety Centre'. They said that they imported the wheels from Germany. My supplier gave all the details of my car to the supplier in Germany & that it was up to them to supply the right offset etc. the wheels came machined to suit my hubs with no need for plastic inserts, so some thought did go into the deal.

he's the supplier, its his responsibility to supply rims that fit. or else... what is he then? a middle man to collect 'X' amount on your purchase?

you need a slightly higher offset..

you need a slightly higher offset..

Yes Lanny, thats what I said to him but he insisted that I needed to reduce the offset in order to clear the caliper ...just when I thought I had that offset stuff sussed :scratch:

Sefton, I think my problem could be sorted like yours i.e. with different offsets front & back. As I said I've already fitted the back rims & they look great. I'll run that by my supplier to see what he says.

Cheers guys

:? he could be right dan... i dont know my ass from my forehead with offset stuff, just trying to offer any advice i could. the offset needs to be either higher or lower though! :lol:

et34 or 35 are the numbers i've heard for front offset... so whatever that means to you, higher or lower. :lol: :lol:

Strange, i would of thought that 30's would of fit...., the higer the offset, the further in they would sit. The lower the number, the further out they should sit.

et30 should be like running et35's on 5mm spacers. You sure all the wheels are 30mm offset?

I bought some wheels and similar happened just for the book they had 235 45 17 on . Don'know the offset but back was Ok except for the width of the tyres.front wouldn't clear caliper either, supplier said i needed an wheels with an offset of 20 they did fit but wheels were crap so sent them back .I have been told that even if a seller says MK4 golf wheels will fit you may still need spacers of 7mm for what its worth theres my tuppence worth .

PS that was with standard suspension

hmm.. you make good points dubster, if et30 sits farther *out* than et35 and people here have had no problems with et35.. then it makes no sense that the et30s wouldnt fit, unless the inner diameter of them is just too small.... stock calipers dan?

The offset of a wheel is the measurement the mounting face of a wheel is offset from the centre line of the overall width of the wheel. It has no relation to how the spokes on a wheel will, or will not clear a caliper inside that wheel... That's just down to the design of the wheel.

In other words, it all depends on how the spokes (or whatever goes from the hub to the rim!) of the wheels curve...

Think of it this way (viewed from above with wheel hub in the middle and outer face up. == is your brakedisk)

|__| (Wheel with middle offset and straight spokes)

|==|

|\_/| (Wheel with middle offset and outwards curved spokes)

|==|

| _ |

|/=\| (Wheel with middle offset and inward curved spokes)

You can see that the bottom one, while having the same offset, would never clear a caliper when fitted, whereas the middle one would clear just about any caliper that would fit within the wheel's diameter... 8)

This is a quick and nasty illustration, but I hope will get my point across... 8)