Sign in to follow this  
cubed

k-jet 16v running rich

hello there, my 1.8 16v is running rough after i replaced my cambelt and pulleys.

it stinks of fuel and runs poorly but does go when i floor it.

ive serviced it with new oil and air filter and there appears to be oil film inside the metering head.which it seems to have pulled through the breather hose.

i know the mixture screws on the metering head but seems silly but which way do you turn it?daft i know!

plus anyone know a decent k-jet tuner in the lancs area?

thanks for your help,any advice appreciated

Make sure all the vacuum pipes are connected under the airbox and round the throttle body.

I doubt you would need to adjust the mixture if it ran OK prior to your 'servicing' it. :mrgreen:

For futurs reference, turning the 3mm allen key in the metering head clock-wise will richen the mixture and guess what turning it the other way does. You should do this with the engine off, as it'll probably stall anyway as you press it down.

The Oil in the metering head is normal, just 100Ks worth of breather fumes. Clean with a cloth and some WD40 or brake cleaner, it it bothers you.

The smell of fuel is that from the exhaust or under the bonnet?

I'd have to recommend Andy Walker at PSI tuning near Stoke if you want a good mechanic.

Gavin

id go over you work again, maybe the cam timing isnt right if it was running ok before

they all get oil in the metering head...as long as theres not a huge puddle dont worry, just carb cleaner it every service

yep your probably right,i'l go over it again this weekend,bit of a rushed job.

if im honest its never really run brilliantly.

i'l check those pipes again but couldnt see a fault last time i looked.

thanks for the advice even though my questions can seem silly at times! :lol:

just had a little do with the timing and it seems to smoothen out the running apart from the same old problem,when i rev it it wont settle correctly,it wobbles about close to stalling then settles til you rev it again. all pipes are fine no cracks or any loose.

any ideas??

Is the closed-throttle switch on the throttle body being switched as soon as the throttle is closed? It's a stab in the dark since you haven't touched it but it'd fit with the initially dodgy idle if the ISV isn't being triggered to open soon enough.

thats a very good point,i'l have a look at that as soon as the rain stops.

i'm going to give dubsport a bell monday see what they can do