Sign in to follow this  
Talc

Know anything about the Mk1 Scirocco Storm?

Noticed a Mk1 Scirocco rotting away near me and went and had a proper look today, although the owner wasnt in, I put a note through their door... Think I might have found a mk1 Scirocco Storm, the badges are missing from the rear but its in a metallic brown with tan leather interior and a plastic sort of splitter on the front.

the rust looks like it might have gotten quite a hold, but if the chassis is sound looking might try and buy it with view to restoring...

Was looking for more info i.e. History of them, are they rare (consider a Mk1 sicrocco rare anyway tbh) What they are worth, where to look to know whether the rust has eaten too far, what they are like for spares etc. etc..

any Rocco bods out there???? :)

I am guessing Tempest might well be along soon to answer all your questions.

Cant offer much other than you dont tend too see them around much anymore and they are fantastic cars. Great memories of my good ol mum booting around scotland in one.

I think he's still in Holland and will have quite a lot of posts to catch up on.. best off trying your luck by PM'ing him I reckon.

i think i remember hearing if its pretty rotten on the surface it'll be as bad underneath and therefore pretty much unrestorable...........

Been looking around on web and now certain its a storm...

have to have a very good look underneath i think....

Quote from VW Vortex on mk1 sciroccos:

"If they are exposed to moisture they will rust like a mofo."

As pointed out above all mk1 Sciroccos suffer badly from rust. The main areas to check are the rear axle mounting points - rust here is pretty terminal. Repair panels are available but the time/expense fixing this means that restoration is never (financially) worthwhile.

Other important bits to check are -

inner wings as replacements are very difficult to get hold of.

fuel filler neck - new ones next to impossible to find

Contrary to popular belief you can get hold of panels but as you would expect they're not exactly off the shelf items. More often you'll find a car being broken and you'll have to accept used items (I've just won a mk1 this morning on ebay for £90).

On the plus side, a mk1 Scirocco Storm is basically a mk1 Golf GTI underneath so ALL mechanicals are the same and hence (fairly) readily available.

Moneywise, I paid £1400 for a 63k two owner car in 2004 and then sold it for £2000 after spending £600 on it. It wasn't mint but as close as. There's one on the Scirocco register atm (one family from new) with 130k for £1200 ovno. At these sorts of values it's difficult to justify the time/effort/expense spent restoring one.

Saying all of that, I've spent £1000s on mine but then, I probably won't ever sell it :)

1v2.jpg

4v2.jpg

Oh, and they only weigh 800kg so will whup most Corrados :-P , especially with one of these -

engine4.jpg

More pictures of mk1s (and even a couple of Corrados) from Roadstar -

http://www.roccomafia.co.uk/Roadstar/index.htm