Sign in to follow this  
Kick Up The Rs

Engine Knock

Well, my heart sank when I noticed my G60 has a slight tap / knock when at running temp (100 deg)

With the engine running at 2000 RPM I get a noise similar to pinking / little end which disapears either side of this engine speed.

Car only occaionaly pinks when hot and laboured.

Only noticed it today after a long run when the car was parked up against a wall to amplify the noise

And it only does it when the engine is hot hot.

Engine oil is BP Visco 3000 semi synthetic 10-40.

Noticed that the vacuum on idle as per the computer was about 380-420. I understand this is typical of a car running too much advance.

Can anyone help, as I'm feeling a bit pee'd off at the moment.

you may be lucky and may only require the bottom end bearing shells replacing?? which is fairly easy to do actually. mine started to go at 80000 miles! G60 bottom end shells are apparently quite weak and dont flow enough oil.

i replaced mine with golf TDI bearing shells which are uprated!

not totally sure what the part no. is for them! i am sure someone will jump in and supply the correct number.

Don't reckon it's the bottom end as it's more of pinking type noise as opposed to a knock.

Ran it again this morning, and it almost sounded like valve gear. I had a similar noise on my old Audi Coupe after I put some re-profiled cams in & new followers.

i am not sure how important it is but i only use "quantum synta silver oil" the stuff vw use , that can also be got from GSF, it may be worthwhile changing the oil and filter?? when did you last change it?

it may also pay to get the motor checked out by the likes of Darren at G-werks, there isnt much he doesnt kow about G60s!

Noticed that the vacuum on idle as per the computer was about 380-420. I understand this is typical of a car running too much advance.

Is your engine Vac system set up correct?

I had sim readings on my 92 G60. Upon investigation my ECU Vac system was in a total mess.

See here. Read through this rather than me type it all out again.

Once I got hold of as new throttle body and rebuit the system the car runs bang on.

Thanks all,

Don't get me wrong, the car runs like yours - bang on.

Nice idle (900 RPM), very little pinking - unless really high ambient, good boost 1780 measured at 5500 RPM (scared to go any higher).

Will borrow a timing light tonight to check advance.

Is it 6 deg btdc @ 2K RPM with the temp sender disconnected?

Stupid Q's:

Which plug is no.1?

Can I see the timing marks from the top?

plug one is on the left. timing light down on the crank pully if you cant see it line up tdc of the flywheel. put a bit of tipex on both the pully and the marker o the engine side.

'Is it 6 deg btdc @ 2K RPM with the temp sender disconnected?'

sound right to me. or is it 8' btdc..?

if in doute

http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... ght=timing