Sign in to follow this  
BlackHeartValentine

1 Cylinder not getting combustion/compression!

my timing belt slipped yesterday and now they are saying that only 3 of my cylendars are getting compression!! My question is do you think it would be easier/cost efficient to get a new head or rebuild my old head (new valve stems , etc.)??

Have you had the head off?????

YOu can't really say until you've assessed the damage. It may be just one bent valve. However I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there may be more extensive damage to the head such as damaged valve seat which means end of the head. Also the Valve may well have kissed the piston meaning that you have damage to the piston also.

Take the head off and take it from there before deciding what to do. You need to know the full extent of the damage before you can repair it!

wow, well I just bought a new head (57k on it) it comes with the intake manifold also (so I can port & polish either that on or mine in the future) I found it for $395!! The guy owns a shop and said he pulled it off because he swapped to a 16v head bout a year ago and he had the 8v just chilling in his shop....Could this new head be damaged from just sitting??

The car was running great untill yesterday when the timing slipped...could the block be cracked? or cracked cylendar? I have an oil leak and I changed the oil pan gasket thinking that was it but its not...there was oil in the air filter and intercooler also...I was going to remove the charger this weekend and send it off to KK in Canada for a rebuild...but I have the timing replaced and it runs like crap but Im gonna get it home then tear the head off...New head should be here next week. Is there anything I need to do to the new head before putting it on?? Any comments are greatly appreciated!!