Sign in to follow this  
mconnolly93

fuel pump problem

hi guys my cars fuel pump is acting up.when i'm driving the car starts jumping.the only thing that stops it is if i turn on the lights.it seems to bring the pump back to normal.is there something up with the wiring?when i have my indicators on i can hear the pump going along to them.has anyone had any similiar problems?

Few things to check...

Fuel filter been changed recently?

Check battery voltage

Check alternator output

Change fuel pump relay

Hi,

Just wondering if you have had any success withg your problem? Im having the same issue! very jumpy, with loud buzzing coming from the fuel pump which changes when the lights are switched on, i.e. more voltage drawn from the battery. Ive a new battery in just in as well...

Did you find a fix?

Cheers,

Pat

when i had a very similar thing on the k-jet scirocco it was the pick-up pump in the tank that had a blocked strainer. check the operation of the pump or the strainer under the black cover in the boot.

often they work fine initially but after 10-20 mins they start to struggle and therefore starve the main'pressure' pump which causes the buzzing you are hearing...

pb

thanks for the info, will have a look at it this weekend. Must check the fuel pump relay too!

Have found these instructions in a search, any additions recommendations?

1.Unplug FP relay (bottom right)

2.Take out boot carpet

3.Unscrew the three cover plate screws

4.Unscrew top cap, this will be tight and may require a hammer and screwdriver to get it to budge!

5.Remove and unplug connector, undo fuel pipe clips

6.Pull top bit out and place on some newspaper etc

7.Should now see pump unit in tank and this twists to remove like a bayonet fitting

8.Use a good quality rubber glove (the mechanics type disolve!) and remove the lot.

Should there be a voltage or someway I can check to see if its operating correctly? assuming I can see the strainer is not blocked?

Cheers,

pat

after visually checking the pump and the strainer out, and if you can work out which pipe is flow and not return you can run another piece of pipe from the outlet into a bottle and check it pumps satisfactorily. i cant rememebr what the flow rate should be, but from memory with the rocco it filled a 2l lemonade bottle very quickly!!

pb

Thanks for the help,

Replaced the lift pump anyway and havent had my problem since. Although I think I'll clean the MAF while I'm at it anyway!

P