Sign in to follow this  
Club MSV

Trackdays

Does anyone do trackdays reguarly on here?

What tracks do you go to?

How many of you attend the same events?

I have recently got into trackdays, done Cadwell in mine, Donnigton next(july 9th I hope), done Prestwold in a F360&F355, back for a euro day soon in, F575, Gallardo, XKR etc. Doesn't seem to be a popular pastime with Rado owners...at least its not often mentioned on here.

used to be my thing but not done any since Outlon park late summer last year. British tracks are ok but compared with whats available in Eurpoe its worth the trip. Even Folembret is worth a visit, (approx 1.5hrs from calais). Nurburgring is a must for every petrol head to visit at least once in their lifetime but be warned it is very addictive.

Angleseys a good little track and often forgotten, Lydden in Kent is just too damn short imo (unless your on a small cc bike)

Theres some really good deals if you shop around, but it is very demanding on whatever vehicle your using.

Gav

The penny dropped on the way home tonight, your username... Club MSV, or is it MotorSport Vision? owners of Cadwell, Oulton, Brands, Bedford and um Snetterton I think?

Let me guess, Is your next post going to offer us a TrackDay for £1, including the loan of an lotus & Caterham? You know it makes sense!

Edit: oh, I see your profile is linked to them too :-)

Yep well spotted.

Im just seeing which VW owners attend trackdays reguarly with the intention to run VW/VAG trackdays, with hopefully magazine coverage.

All comments are welcome.

i've tracked my C once before, would be keen to do it again if the right kind of day could be organised

Welcome to the Forum!

Andrew

I would wanna track mine, i already know most tracks as i race motorbikes (yamaha R1!) so i think it would be awesome in the car (although im worried i may ditch it due to me knowing the tracks fast and the car might not handle my pace lol). Iv gotta get a corrado vr6 first though :(

ere' herisites - have you ever done any track days up north at croft circuit?

I know a load of r1 riding track day goers that you may have met/raced/crashed into/ran off the road. or they may have done all these things to you :D

No mate, i race with New Era and i havent raced the R1 much as i used to race a VFR400 mainly. Circuits iv been on are mainly Donington, Mallory, Brands, cadwell, Oulton, Snetterton, Pembrey, Rockingham etc etc.

done quite a few drag strip days at various strips, and have done Bruntingthorpe with Performance VW magazine and Curborough sprint circuit with Club GTI.

I'd be well up for some proper track action though, I was planning to do Oulton park, Donnington and Croft last year, but had engine problems which put a halt to those plans... :( The good news is that the problems are now sorted out, so I can play properly this year if there's some good prices available for track days.... I'm seriously interested to find out what my little baby can do around a circuit... 8)

fancy coming to the nurburgring at the end of july with us lot henny?

if not we will also be doing a day at donnington oct november time when teh prices come down,,,,

I'd love to do some track days with the C... but slightly hesitant for two reasons:

1) most cars I've seen being tracked and cheap and nasty looking, and their owners don't seem to mind having the odd bump and scrape with each other.

2) It'd probably kill my engine!

Still, if there were VW-enthusiast-only type days being organised, I'd be well up for it... and it might mean I get my new engine a little sooner ;-)

I will be tracking mine also when I eventually finish building it

ditto..taking me forever though :x

want to get the Mk1 on the track at some point (when I fix the leaking oil + water) :roll:

most cars I've seen being tracked and cheap and nasty looking, and their owners don't seem to mind having the odd bump and scrape with each other.

Er, I think you must have been to a hot hatch day rather than a Hot Marques or proper trackday event. The hot hatch days at Knockhill are entertaining to watch, but can be absolute carnage (i.e. you wouldn't want to be on track with some of those nutters). Your average Hot Marques event will feature 911 GT3s, Elises/Exiges, Imprezas and Evos, and none of these drivers wants to have an incident with anyone else. I've tracked my current car, and it's not cheap and nasty, even if it is a Vauxhall :wink:

There are various trackdays where the standard of driving is a lot higher, but then they're more expensive - you get what you pay for! The SIDC days are extremely well-run, Knockhill are also now doing "street-legal" days, which you could get your Corrado on.

Sadly I didn't manage to get my VR6 on track while I had it, but I've tracked the 3 cars I've owned since, and loved every minute - it's something you really have to try at some point :D

Jamie

Done a couple of track days both at Croft Circuit, going to Spa and Nerburgring at the end of August, can't wait! Would be cool to do some more British tracks and would deffo be up for a VAG/Raddo day depending on timing and location, anywhere fairly north (donnington/cadwell etc) would be good with me.

I've done bruntingthorpe and donnington in the corrado, croft in the mk4, corborough in both, and kames (scotland) in my old mk2 VR6.

loved every second off all of them, and will be attaneding as many as I can afford to for the foreseeable future.

will also be taking my bike on them when I learn to ride it properly!

been a passenger around blyton and mallory and on a crap ferrari day (driving tired old stallions up and down and empty runway, yawn)

anyone who hasn't driven their car on a track simply doesn't know how to drive it. I don't mean that with any malice, I just mean that you learn so much about how to handle your car and what it (and you!) are capable of.

for me, it's what cars are for, and it's what I'm building my corrado for.

roll on the nurburgring :-)

I can't believe I'm about to write this... :|

I fully agree with phat here... :lol: I learned sooo much about how J-DUB handled just throwing it around Curborough and Bruntingthorpe that I'd say that if I hadn't have done that, the crash which wrote her off would have been MUCH more serious 'cos I wouldn't have known quite how much you could chuck her about to get out of trouble...

I've always worked on my corrados for go, not just show, and track days let me appreciate exactly what I've built.... 8)

Am looking to start taking mine to the track but i doubt the car will be ready this summer. Ive also gotta get some light 16" alloys which will fit over my brakes before i even think about it.

Im a little weary because i'd prefere to go around relatively slowly at first to get a feel for it but it would probably piss everybody else off.

nope, don't worry about that .Rich., that's what I do too.... No point in going hell for leather on your first lap and then having to spend the rest of the session waiting for a tow out of the gravel trap while everyone else gets to know the track and increases their speed lap on lap... ;) :lol:

take it easy on track till you learn the lines, then the speed will come.....

most cars I've seen being tracked and cheap and nasty looking, and their owners don't seem to mind having the odd bump and scrape with each other.

Er, I think you must have been to a hot hatch day rather than a Hot Marques or proper trackday event. The hot hatch days at Knockhill are entertaining to watch, but can be absolute carnage (i.e. you wouldn't want to be on track with some of those nutters). Your average Hot Marques event will feature 911 GT3s, Elises/Exiges, Imprezas and Evos, and none of these drivers wants to have an incident with anyone else. I've tracked my current car, and it's not cheap and nasty, even if it is a Vauxhall :wink:

There are various trackdays where the standard of driving is a lot higher, but then they're more expensive - you get what you pay for! The SIDC days are extremely well-run, Knockhill are also now doing "street-legal" days, which you could get your Corrado on.

Sadly I didn't manage to get my VR6 on track while I had it, but I've tracked the 3 cars I've owned since, and loved every minute - it's something you really have to try at some point :D

Jamie

You're spot on - the only days I've been at have been up at Knockhill. I wasn't convinced the C would meet the scrutineers approval for a Hot Marques day; I don't know about other tracks by at KH they state your car must be worth £10K+ and that seemed a bit of an optimistic valuation for my car.

Do the street legal days attract a more mature crowd than the HH days?

I'm desparate to try a track day, but having never done one, and not having any friends who have either, I didn't really know where to go, or what to try etc.

I've tracked my current car, and it's not cheap and nasty, even if it is a Vauxhall :wink:

Oh yeah, don't beat yersel up over the Vx, we all know its a Lotus in all but name 8)

Petros, I think there have only been 2 or 3 street legal trackdays so far, it looked like they were going to become a regular occurrence but there hasn't been one for a couple of months. I've not actually been to one, but from what I've heard (and the photos of the events I saw) they seem to be a mix of cars, from the really fast stuff to hot hatches that have obviously been looked after (i.e. not the bangers that do the hot hatch days).

The 10K value for hot marques events isn't an absolute limit, as there are a few cars that wouldn't approach that, it's more to keep the numpties away. If you were to do something like an SIDC (Impreza Drivers Club) day as I did recently, there's no restriction on the car, but they do enforce the driving standards to ensure no idiots spoil it for anyone. I'm sure I've seen a couple of Corrados at previous SIDC events.

Another option is to try one of Knockhill's own trackday beginner sessions - I did this last July in my Integra, and it was a good introduction.

One place you might like to have a look is http://www.scottishcarclub.com/phpbb/ - they're a friendly bunch and can probably point you in the direction of events that you could do.

Hope this helps! :D