Sign in to follow this  
pwj

Ball joint replacement

Hi guys trying to get a very sick Corrado back on the road . Had to replace the Wishbone and ball joint on the offside but cannot get the ball joint to go back into the housing on the bottom of the hub! I have tried all that I know and persuaded my father to come out of retirement to help and we got no further!

How can I get the darn thing back in?

I have checked that I have the correct wishbone and ball joint and measured it all up but there just seems to be not enough give to get the thing back in it's almost as if it needs to go more to the centre of the car but we cannot move it any suggestions?

When I did mine i had to knock it into place gently with a hammer, you have to lean quite hard on the wishbone to get enough space to get the joint in position and locate it into the hub.

The ball joint mounting on the hub is not a full cylinder, i.e. it has an 'open groove' into which you can insert screwdriver/coldchisel to open the housing slightly. Then you can gently tap the ball joint pillar up into position. Then pull the bottom of the hub out to give clearance to fit the little bracket to the wisbone.

HTH

2cc, You are tottaly correct! The same idea spotted in my mind last saturday!

That´s the way i´ve done it!

WD40 helps a lot aswell!

Guys sorry for not getting back earlier but other matters had my attention for a while (IE can you fit a baby seat to a corrado? I now know how that james nesbit guy felt in the phone book ad ).

Thanks for the input, I assume that I will have to disassemble the wishbone and put the ball joint into place first then manipulate everything into position around it?

Thanks a lot guys guess that's what i will be doing this weekend if the weather holds up! :D :D