Sign in to follow this  
corradog60

g60 intercooler swap

The most straightforward swop is finding one from a mk2 Golf G60 , this is what I have done but they are very rare and can cost a fortune. They drop in fairly easilly though.

As for the best, I'm sure some of the more technically minded members will be able to help you there.

What ever you do I think you really need to open up the bumper to allow more airflow or you are just wasting time and money.

Cheers,

Rob

what benafits do u get from upgrading the cooler does it increase the power what the best and most stright forword swap

The colder the air is when it gets into the engine, the higher/more dense the oxygen content. As your engine burns a mixture of fuel & oxygen, more oxygen = more power. When your supercharger compresses air (boost) it also heats it and the air then requires cooling before it gets to the engine. High boost psi is almost useless if the air is too hot. You are far better and will have much more power with less boost psi of much colder air. The important factor is the amount of oxygen getting into the engine.

Unfortunately, there is no straight forward swap. Usually speaking, whatever cooler that you use will need to be adapted to fit the space available. Front bumper will almost certainly need modifying to allow air to pass through into whatever cooler that you fit

I will soon be using 2 Mercedes C-Class coolers mounted on top of each other. These will both be joined together with a custom made joining tank/pipe at the drivers side. This will allow both the inlet (into the bottom cooler) and the outlet (from the top cooler) to both be on the passengers side to eliminate the need for any U bends in the pipework. Pipework will need to be as unrestricted as possible to increase flow. Best material for the pipes is polished aluminum alloy - this has good reflective capabilities and retains very little heat.

depends what you wanna spend really and what you can source bits for.

i used a factory u-bend 600x150x45 IC and pipework n it cost me 200 all in.