Sign in to follow this  
paulg60

does the charger

does the charger need the oil from the breather into the boost return pipe? just wondered after reading a reply on a topic how to fit a dump valve. i was going to take the boost return pipe off tomorrow not so sure now :?

nope oil going in the boost return is only going to slow down the car as the oil is in vapour form at that point, and it going back throught the charger to the throttle body is only going to screw up the mixture

taking the boost return off will have a few helpful outcomes.

1. the hot boosted air wont be returned to the charger. this causes a warmup cycle. i have found this to be a lot more noticable with the 65mm pulley on. on a std car i cant see it having much impact until total heatsoak is reached n at those levels the intercooler is by far the weakest link. having said that the charger does feed the coolers so a cooler charger should mean a cooler IC.

2. the fitment of a filter or catch can is necessary. this will help conbustion but to what extent its hard to say but higher boost levels again will probly benefit from no oil in the air.

3. the ISV needs to be rerouted or a filter fitted to the end. probly a good time to fit a checkvalve or the reroute to intake.

4. charger needs to be blocked off or a second air feed added. there are a few opinions on this. balancing internal pressures is my main concern although when on full throttle the bypass is inactive so pressures are not even from both sides in a normal setup although the breather is always active so no vac is present on that side of charger with the boost return fitted. take yer pick really as the yanks have both systems in use over there and i am yet to rwad of a charger that has blown due to uneven pressures at the inlet.

5. oil line. the std position for the line is clipped under the boost return. needs refixing or rerouting depending if you are fussy about looks.

6. noise will increase. to what extent will depend on boost levels.

a dump valve can now be fitted to the bottom of boost return if wanted. this will change the power delivery to being a on/off switch type delivery. i have heard that this can cause unwanted pressure back on the charger. if the dump valve fails to release then i wouldn't wanna handle repercussions. i am still thinking about doing this though.

i am gonna remove my boost return at some point. not sure when yet.

looks like i'm removing the boost return pipe then :D i have a catch tank ready will it be ok for the isv to go there aswell as the oil breather from the rocker cover

looks like i'm removing the boost return pipe then :D i have a catch tank ready will it be ok for the isv to go there aswell as the oil breather from the rocker cover

if i was you paul i would either reroute the isv into the other boost pipe or what i do on g-werks cars it just put a giro/k&n breather on the isv all in should cost you under £50 to do....

hth..

awwwwww dont say that i just had a catch tank made with 2 inlets one for the isv the other for the breather and a outlet on the top with a breather filter. will it be ok with the isv going into the catch tank because i have fitted it all tonight. or am i best leaving it out