Sign in to follow this  
BlackHeartValentine

Quick Cylinder Head/manifold Questions...

I am replacing my head cylinder with a newly rebuilt one and I havn't got the manifolds off yet (exhaust manifold) cause I have to wait till tomorrow morning for some jack stands and an extra hand...one of my friends that works on vw's told me that the exhaust manifold has to have the bolts removed through the bottom (under the car) I can see 2 I can get from the top but he also said that the exhaust manifold bolts are Tack Welded>?? Is this true? how can I get them off without struggling??

I've just finished doing that exact job,difficulty rating?,i can't really say because i've done it so many times before anyway you'll need a decent 17mm spanner and pref. a 90 degree version.

Depending alot on how long the 17mm nuts have been on will determin what struggle awaits you,the 3 nuts nearest the bulkhead can be loosened from above AFTER disconecting the inlet manifold,i find it easier to work afterwards with that out of the way.

Same thing goes for those shitty 12mm nuts holding the ex.manifold to the head,just at the mere sight of a 12mm spanner they round off..,WD-40 soaking is a must.

If your car's catalized you'll swear getting the cat's nuts/bolts off 'cos there probably welded to each other..,by the way,all the ex.manifold's nuts can be loosened from above and be extra carefull that the gaskets go on the right way round and tha they don't get dislodged when re-fitting the mani.

Tack welded nuts?,never seen or heard of that 1 mate,how the christ are you gonna get a welding torch in that confined space AND weld is gonna be difficult.

wow, thanks for your input!!! It's just this one guy that has done swaps on golfs said that they were tack welded..(gonna laugh at him when they're not) I have "Liquid Wrench" (had to use it to get the last bolt off the alternater...broke 1 of my 6mm allen wrenches trying it...had to go buy the allen kit for a socket wrench...heh) Please if anyone else has any info Harlp meh!!!

well that was easy...undid the 3 bolts holding the exhaust to the cat and then did the head bolts and some stuff and poof it popped right out the top!! What sucks now is that after getting the head off it revealed a burnt out piston!!! #*$@@#$!!!

My friend said he will give me a 2.0 bottom end and I can use the new 1.8 head with it...Will that work? I know I will need a thicker head gasket to up compression, is there anything else I need?