Sign in to follow this  
daytona600

Spax PSX Kit - Should I Fit It?

hi all, I aquired a new Spax PSX Suspension Kit about a year ago but having read some of the posts on here I am not confident that they will be any good.

The kit is a TAP107 which is standard height. Retail price £375

Also should I even be considering fitting them myself having never touched suspension before. I have borrowed spring compressors but could it all end in tears.

Thanks.

Is this for the VR6?

This site http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk dont say how much it lowers the car. Is that to say it does not lower the car? (if it does lower the car, all it means is that you need to set teh camber, which will cost about £60)

If that is the case then you can do all the work your self; assuming your camber is correctly set at present (no odd tyre wear). The spring compressors being neccessary for the front. The Wiki might help as the How To shows how it is done for the 2.0L 16v; or may nto help. Ask a VR owner.

I am not confident that they will be any good.

Im not a fan of SPAX, but it all depends on your budget and how long you think you will own the car. H&R are more popular here, but expensive too.

Yes sorry, forgot to mention the kit is for the VR6.

As it happens I do have a tyre wear problem. The O/S front has worn away the tread on the outside, all other tyres are fine.

I do plan to own the car long term as its my pride & joy! But alas am skint at the mo.

I fitted a PSX kit to a Mk2 Golf GTI a few years back. It lowered the car by 40mm and was rock hard. On a smooth road though, the car was awesome.

Daytona - seems the camber or toe is out of skew and thus you need an expert to fix this for you. As said, about £60. However, I'd get that done once you've replaced the suspension.

bcstudent mentions getting a 40mm drop and is right to say handling is much improved. My question would be 'What are you after' ?

Lowering the car can be advantageous in some ways and worse in others, all depending on YOUR preferences and requirements. In a few words a 40mm drop will make the car handle better but on the other hand the harder springs will give a much harsher and bumpy ride. Im looking to compromise and find a 30mm drop. A massive drop may lead to driveshaft problems (maybe).

Don't get me wrong, I hated driving the car 99% of the time. The ride was truly awful for a daily driver. There are plenty of kits out there that will provide a decent ride at -40mm. Weitec for one.