Sign in to follow this  
bensurf

Rad Fan

The problem is that my fan doesnt cut out when i turn the engine off. It comes on at the right times, and doesnt overheat past about 95deg when driving, but when i turn off the ignition and leave the car the bloody thing doesnt turn off for ages. Sometimes if I start the car from cold drive up the road, turn round and come back then turn the car off, the fan comes on, and the engine is still cold!

Ive been unplugging the wires to the fan its self every time I finish a journey, or just not connecting it if i know im going to have a clear run and this is a real pain!

Can anyone advise what might be the problem? And what parts would be worth changing?

Should I try changing the radiator thermo switch as mentioned in the running temp thread?

Cheers guys

which engine? sounds like your fan run-on temperature switch has failed, or the wire has fallen off/broken and is shorting to earth causing it to think it's too hot once you turn off the ignition...

The fan-run-on switch IS NOT part of the radiator thermo switch, it's location varies depending on which engine you have. The wire to it is brown with a white tracer, and the sensor looks like a brass bolt with a single male spade terminal on the top of it... (on the G60 it's above the fuel rail on the left as you look from the front of the car)

Thanks for the reply mate, its a 1.8 16v. I think i know the switch you mean and there is a kink and a bit of a break in the wire leading to it! Would i need to replace the brass switch or repair the wire?

sorry for sounding like an idiot!

Thanks for the reply mate, its a 1.8 16v. I think i know the switch you mean and there is a kink and a bit of a break in the wire leading to it! Would i need to replace the brass switch or repair the wire?

sorry for sounding like an idiot!

the wire earths through the switch/engine block, try the wire straight to an earth point e.g. the head/engine block, if your fan comes on and also comes on connected to the switch when the engine is cold then the switch is knackered.

If it's the switch, I have a spare.

It's usually the rad switch that causes problems though, as the coolant has a habit of leaking and then corroding the switch.

David.