Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Help and Advice for Rear Shelf

Anybody any suggestions or had similar problems?

The previous owner of my G60 has put huge speakers in the rear parcel shelf, cut holes in it and then re-inforced the panel with a piece of wood.

Unfortunately this has just moved the stress of the weight to the side panels that keep the parcel shelf from dropping into the boot, and these are now stressed, cracked and bent. I've tried to support the shelf by swapping the rubber straps, (which had stretched with the weight anyway), with coated metal wire, which at least means the shelf now moves upwards when I open the boot and I don't have to balance it on the top of my head. But again, it's just moving the problem onto another area at the rear.

No one seems to do Stealth Shelfs anymore for Corrado's, and again I would still be left with supporting the weight.

Obviously the simplest answer is to take out the speakers, but they do make a great sound.

Help??

Personally I'd take out the speakers, put a sub and amp in the boot, and upgrade the front components if you haven't already. The side panels and shelf can be replaced pretty cheaply if you keep an eye on the bay or the parts for sale section on here.

I put a stealth shelf and 6x9s in a previous car, sounded good but within a few weeks there were a lot of difficult to remove squeaks from the shelf supports and side panels. Wouldn't bother again in a hatch back.

Thanks mate.

Their is an amp and box already in the boot to go with the huuuge speakers in the shelf.

Do you still get a good level by just up-rating the speakers in the standard pods? Think the previous owner went a bit overkill.