Sign in to follow this  
J50DUB

G60 LIVING WITH ONE

Hi all

what are g60's like then???

the 0.60 (8.1) time seams a little low for saying its a supercharged 1800 what can be done too improve this ? ? i know its still quick standard but how can it be made quicker??? chipped and pulleyed? what does this involve how much etc......

i would like one in nugget yellow but how rare is this colour ???

is the suspension uprated compared too my valver???

just wondered

james

The main downside to the rado g60 is the gearbox, you cant hit 60 in second making the 0 - 60 times seem slower, even with a car thats chipped @ pulley etc with 200+bhp it will not break any 0 - 60 records...

The only way round this is to either mod the gearbox like i have with a vr6 1st & 2nd or go for a mk3 golf gti 16v box, this will completey transform the car!! believe me running 240bhp on the standard box is a bit of a nightmare..

As far as the suspension goes i believe its the same as the 16v rado??

Your best bet for more power is to start with a chip & pulley upgrade, that will give you around 180 - 190bhp, another very important thing to keep on top off is the supercharger, make sure thats been rebuilt and that its looked after well.

From then on it really depends on how much you want to do to the car and how much you want to spend on the engine...

I have pretty much finished modding my engine now and i am very happy with it, theres a few little creases that need ironing out, but it absolutely flies and has suprised quite a few jap cars... 8) and is still a fairly good daily driver car if you dont mind a bumoy ride... :wink:

i am looking into getting a Golf g60 as a project car in a year or so to keep me occupied, i have quite a few plans for that car when i get it.... :)

Is that right ? can i bolt on a mk3 16v gti box - no messin to make it fit?

as far as the G60 goes the official 0-60 was 7.4 seconds.

now though becuase of the age of the car i would rekon its lost a few hp so its likely to be a bit slower......

you can easily increase the boost by getting a smaller pulley on the charger as well as a chip and uprated injectors, all in for about £500 probably including fitting.

if you chip and pulley a charger though depending on the size of the pulley is going to depend on how often you will need to service the charger. standard its hsould be done approx every 40k miles just to be on the safe side but if you have a 65mm pulley on it then you will have to service it every 25k miles instead.

i have no idea how rare nugget yellow is but im guessing that its one of the least common colours and as far as the suspension goes i have no idea.... im guessing its the same setup to be honest.

my G60 is my daily driver and i get on with it fine. its obvioulsy going to have issues once in a while as its a 15 year old car but i think im getting issues with mine as its been garaged for 4 years so its got teething problems now that its back on the road.

make sure the car has a good history and always check if the charger has had a rebuild cos if it hasnt that needs to be factored into the price you pay :)

i wouldnt mind knowing this! how much would i be looking for for a mk3 gti box as well?

cheers,

i believe so yeah...

Cool - afternoons work that, i'll make some calls and get back to you on a price for GTImk3 box mate

when you say it would completely transform the car, how? i find that my cable change is pretty cumbersome and sloppy and doesnt really go into gear that well on occasion...

cheers,

it may be that you cable change may need adjusting slightly??

I meant it transformed the car in turms of gear ratio between 1st,2nd &3rd, and through the gear speed compared to the standard box...

Hi

cheers guys

g60's sound cool!! insurance is cheap too compared too a vr anyhow~!

but we'll have too see ~~~~~~