Sign in to follow this  
JMC

Drivers side electric window problems

My drivers side window started playing up about a month ago - it would rattle badly when shutting the door. It's recently started to stick a bit on the way down (move an inch, then slowly move, then jump an inch etc) for the first 6 inches or so. Goes back up alright, and then if I put it down straight away it is alright again. Leave it for a few minutes though, and it will stick again.

Given how many bits go to making one of these up, any ideas as to which bit might be causing the problem (and how to fix it)???

Bump, anyone shed any light on this please ????

Sounds like your glass is becoming loose, either in the window channel or more likely - seperating from the winder mechanism.

Your only option is to remove the interior doorcard & have a look.

Cheers Steve, will take a look at the weekend.

Your window is playing due to a broken plastic piece that is glued on the window which makes the window slide through a rail...

These plastic parts are glued on the window near the door locks.

They have a VAG part-number written.

Once i went to VW to buy them, but they don´t recognize the code, and told me that it was only sold with the entire window glass! :lol:

Quoted 1200Eur for it! :shock:

Please let me know if you get another response over UK... :roll:

Finally got closure on this one and got round to fixing it :D :D

Really simple in the end - on the window regulator there are 2 arms with a small wheel on the end of each one. On mine the wheel had come off one arm, so the window would stick on the way down. Popped the wheel back on the end of the arm and bingo - all fixed, no new bits needed, glass didn't need removing. Serves me right for not fixing it for ages I suppose. I wish all my jobs were that easy.

bad news - mine still does that - and I "fixed" in the same way. It will come off again soon especially if you close your door with the window open, it'll come off and you'll hear the window clang when you do.

The plastic thing has worn over the years and the gap is now about 0.01mm too wide, therefore can come off anytime.

Steve - does the plastic wheel "roll" or does it stay fixed? If it rolls i can't see how glueing would help?

p.s. dropping the window approx 1cm stops the rattle when driving!

bad news - mine still does that - and I "fixed" in the same way. It will come off again soon especially if you close your door with the window open, it'll come off and you'll hear the window clang when you do.

The plastic thing has worn over the years and the gap is now about 0.01mm too wide, therefore can come off anytime.

Steve - does the plastic wheel "roll" or does it stay fixed? If it rolls i can't

Damn, there was me thinking I'd cured it. I did have to clip it into place and it was a really tight fit, so I'll see if it does come off again soon.....

that was my thoughts exactly - sorry to piss on your chips! if you solve it permanently let me know coz you can't get them individually you have to order the whole lot. I mean who the hell is gonna do that!?!?!

that was my thoughts exactly - sorry to piss on your chips! if you solve it permanently let me know coz you can't get them individually you have to order the whole lot. I mean who the hell is gonna do that!?!?!

Think if it's not a permanent fix I'll be tempted to make a runner/roller myself using a small bearing and a little wheel. Will let you know if (when) it comes lose again.

Sounds like you could be onto a nice little earner if you start making you own kits! My window is also rattling when open. It opens and closes fine though, but reading this it sounds like it's all downhill. Maybe I should just take the window out and start getting in and out Dukes of Hazard style...

Well, 6 months on and the window is still fine. Looks like the the little bearing is a good (quick) thing to check before buying new mechanisms.