Sign in to follow this  
Eleanor

Irratic idle

You can easily prove the thermo time switch is/isn't at fault by disconnecting the blue electrical connector from the cold start valve on the right-hand side of the inlet manifold. Obviously that won't make a difference if the valve is simply leaking but it's an easy two second test!

Hmmm, I've got a copy of the VW dealer's repair manual for the 1.8 16v Corrado fuel injection and ignition system here. It's not that huge so I'll scan it later and make it available to the forum. It may help others out in the future.

did you change BOTH fuel pumps??????............99.9% sure the 1.8 16v has 2 of em

You can make that 100%...at least for the 1990 model.

One last thing: were the fuel injectors changed as part of the rebuild? They're usually pretty much knackered by 120k miles. Changing mine transformed the running of the car.

:p YES it took me 4 hours to put my wheels on as you can see the car is a little hard to jack up being only 5inches off the road with a body kit on and neon bulbs underneath

my c has been in to the garage today for that problem alone . the guys at the garage say they are unsure what the problem is and have told me to get it to a rolling road and get them to tak a look.told that the emmissions where quite high even after all mixtures had been tweaked .

how can a rolling road help and are they expensive ?

tryin to get her ready for a journey to spain. which is supposed to be in six weeks. lol :onfire:

soz I didnt get back yesterday I cant c how that is going to help neither.why dont you call out a mobile tuner and run a diagnostic on it especially if your emissions are high down here in pompey one would set u back about £40 give it a try not very good garage u went to then??????

Just a thought, and you've probably checked it out already, but have you checked all the air hoses? My first valver had identical symptoms to yours. It turned out that one of the air hoses to the ISV was split slightly (underneath, so you couldn't really see it). Got a new bit of hosing from Halfords for a couple of quid- problem solved. Worth checking :wink:

i have full conidence in the garage it took me quite a while to choose one though.

but heres the deal today

picked up the car at about 4 . running like a dream . just had new belts on everything . had mixture sorted as i said before . decieded to go for a spin and went to llandudno . which is quite a way from manchester . car was greatall the way just until icame into llandudno. and as i lift of the accelerator kerpow . she lets out an almighty pop and back is the crazy rev counter jumpin around like me on mushrooms . walked up the prominard quick wee potion of chips , you know the crack. so time came to get off as i had to pick a relative up fromthe airport in manchester . car running great again for most of the way only seems to happen if i am givin it gas all the time . picked my relative up and on the way back to bolton car sounds like a feckin machine gun , rat a tat tat . feckin great relative thinks were all gonna die . some times i just wish we would ............................ :drinking:

well this mornin tried to get her started but woneven get going just pop pop wheeze . dont know what to do , but patience is running out. spent 1200 quid over last two months!!!!!!!!!!!!

my raddo isnt missfireing like yours mine is just going mental on the revs when she gets warm but she does break down at 3000 revs if i apply to much trouble but i do think its the coil

soz mate just read it must have missed will give it a browse in the morning where do I look exactally I keep forgetting i am a girlie

Find the ISV, which is located on the right hand side of the head. It will have a couple of air hoses and an electrical plug, and is cylindrical in shape. Check all the hoses carefully for splits and holes. Probably worth cleaning the ISV too. Disconnect it all (2 min job) and give it a really good soak in carb cleaner- make sure the electrical connection stays dry.