Sign in to follow this  
G60 Bob

BTS keeps breaking - what is wrong?

G60 was running lumpy and smelt of black gold (petrol) so i swapped the blue and black plugs of the temperature sensors and 'hey presto' the car ran perfect but the water temp didnt work - diagnosis replace BTS

Two days later before i could replace BTS started running lumpy again and was hard to start smelt of petrol again. I have replacd the BTS (from VAG) four times now in two years of owning the car - could it be a short circuit, break in the wiring or something else causing the BTS to fail (nothing obvious in the accessable wiring).

R

what coolant are you running, and is it nice and clear or full of rust deposits?

Rusty coolant will kill the BTS pretty quickly as it builds up on the aluminum sensor and stops it from reading properly...

Its filled with 2 month old G12+ so i dont think that could be it.

What made me think it is somthing other than the sensor itself killing it is the fact that i swapped blue and black electrical plugs over and the black sensor that was then being read by the ecu died.

Any ideas?

R

get it to an auto-electrician and get them to check it...

Sounds like you've got something funny going on with your wiring which is putting too much voltage down through the sensors... :|