Sign in to follow this  
tim1781

VR6 Starter Motor - Is it a one off???

Hi guys. I have read most of your posts regarding non-starters etc and the ignition switch but i've got a new one for you. Not having run the car for a couple of weeks, put the bonnet up etc checked the fluids ... turned the key and the starter turned once only, then (luckily) just saw a small puff of smoke ... closer investigation (and god knows how I found it) showed the copper earth strap between the starter body and the solenoid to be corroded and just came off in my hand!! .. with a tell-tale molten bit of copper at one end. It's about 3/4 inch long and i'm just wondering if it's a one-off with my car or have some of you other VR boys had the same thing??? ... anyway ... leads onto my question ... what's the easiest way to change the starter!!! ... it's a bit tight in there so do you have to remove any hoses etc if doing the job from the top. Ps. sorry for the long text, but have searched and couldn't find the same problem. PPS I have tried starting the car by bridging the 2 broken earth terminals and yes, it does try to go ... and then eats cheap crocodile clips and cable!!

I hope to hear something soon!

tim

the earth strap corrodes on all Corrados... I replaced mine as I bought each of my Corrados after learning how rubbish they were with my very first one... :roll:

*edit* :oops: oh, how rude of me, I didn't notice your post count... Welcome to the forum... 8)

Welcome to the forum - Try using a jump lead to bridge it...

If you do need one then new VR starters are about £65 from ECP so not too bad and I think they are fairly easy to get to underneath but get someone to help you to save dropping it on yer head!

think it's got to be a new starter then guys!! I have looked on GSF and they didn't sound too much so i'll give ECP a go!!

Cheers Guys!

Yeah - ECP were about £10 cheaper than GSF when I bought one for a mate a few weeks ago but if you are a CCGB member you get 10% off at GSF which will make it about the same...