Sign in to follow this  
Austin

Stereo suddenly died

Have a VR6 with a Kenwood stereo cassette linked to a 6 disc cd changer, and a Snooper powered by the main power to the stereo. Last night, the stereo + Snooper suddenly died whilst driving. Power is getting to the stereo; the stereo fuse is OK; the Snooper works fine on an external power source; the main fuse in the car fuse box is OK; all connectors seem fine and are tight; all other car electrics are fine.

I'm stuck - any clues of where to look?

Thanks

thanks ... I'm no expert ... so:

- what's h/u?

- how to check ignition switch (the car's starting perfectly and no other electrical probs)

Thx

a-ha! The permanent main power to h/u is OK and when I turn the ignition on, the secondary power becomes live. Will have a rummage to see if I can find the earth

the earth will run to point on any clean unpainted metal surface , if you have a long piece of wire you could run it from the negative off your battery to test it with

have you wired the head unit from a different live and earth ? and it doesnt work ?

if so it may have blown something (possibly a fuse) internally

haven't tried that yet, and fear it may have blown internally, altho that wouldn't explain why the Snooper isn't working in the car (its powered from the ignition live off the stereo feed), or would it?!