Sign in to follow this  
half-9

Help! - G60 - Rallye won't start

My Rallye is not starting. I drove it a week ago & it was great I even had a bit of wild drive against another Rallye which had a 225 bhp 1.8T - I was all over him! (My 8v is running around 240 bhp)

I looked under the bonnet & I noticed that the breather cap (top right side) had popped off the engine block so there was a small amount of oil vapour/spray on the block - but otherwise it looked OK. I don't think this should make too much difference as the setup is for a non-recirculating charger

When I turn the key there is no normal starter noise - battery level is fine - where should I start invetigating from ?

On a side note - I was previously thinking of the conversion but after seeing the 20v in the flesh I am sticking with the 8v. the difference in the character of the engine was massive - the 8v sounded like a beast - nice uneven idle, whirring charger -the 20v sounded like nothing particularly special - and the 20v block looked like it was mounted higher than the original block - thats got to affect handling?

Any ideas would be a great help.

Thanks in advance

Dude - i am serious - there are undoubtedly a load of extra horses after tuning the 20v up - but it's got no character!

If there is no click from the starter motor then either the solenoid valve has seized (you may be able to free it with a gentle tap, but may stick again) Or the connections on the starter have a bad connection either in the starter itself or a bad connection going to it.Give the wires a wiggle to see if you can make a connection. Most likely though you'll have to replace the starter or just the solenoid if you are able to dissasemble it.

erm, common point of failure on ALL VWs of this era is the ignition switch...

£25 from VAG... worth a shot anyway... ;)