Sign in to follow this  
4stud

My car hates the summer!

Hello all,

I have a 93 2l 16v and when i try and start it when the weather is hot nothing happens, not even firing the solenoid. Last week on the early shift i could start my car at 6 when it was cool out but after leaving it in the car park at work for 8 hours in the hot sun it wouldn't work?

I have had to leave it at work and come back for it in the evenings when it's cooler out.

Any ideas to what it could be?

So you turn the key and literally nothing happens? Like no attempt by the engine to turn over?

If thats the case i'd personally put my money on the ignition switch as my G60 used to do this - last summer on the very hottest days i'd turn the key in the ignition and it'd prime itself, etc but then when you turn the key the enging wouldn't turn over - if you fiddled with the key or pushed it a bit harder it'd go and be fine.

Only did it when it was REALLY hot and had been in direct sunlight...

Could also be a stciking starter soleniod - locate it and hit it very hard with a bar or something but be careful not to damage the wiring...

Jim, Thats the one, i get nothing at all apart from the humming noise. The switch did cross my mind. Last week i opened the windows about half hour before i went home one day and it was fine.

Supercharged, Dont they usually tick like mad when they are stuck? I did beat it a few times but nothing changed.

I reckon its the switch then if its doing the same as mine did.. think the heat must expand something inside the lock area enough for it to be a bit of a fiddle to get it to start! Certainly no harm in changing it.. its a bit of a pig to do but its a cheap enough part!

Mine does this when hot. If I rock the car in gear it releases something and the starter kicks in. Park on a hill in the hot weather now! Has to stand for a while for the 'problem' to manifest itself. Only happens in ambient temp of 25C or above. I have checked the feed from the switch and all is fine. I can hear a click when I turn the key. Suspect the starter motor has a flaw in it. On the second one and still there.?????????