Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Removing plastic cover behind grill

Just a feeler, has anyone removed this cover behind the grill, i know it extends all the way down the radiator but the top bit could be cut away to let cooler air into the engine bay.

just wandering if the cooler air will help or as vw put it there for a reason will it create some unwanted pressure/turbulance inside the bay? possibly reomve the foam on the underside of the bonnet? anyone got any ideas?

A very good question as the air box takes its feed from some where round there would it not help to have - Ram air - into the air box ??????? where's my drill hee hee heeeeeee

yeah the air box opening is directly behind the light which is where it gets its feed from throught the snorkel (which ive removed anyway) but i was thinking if this cover was removed too it would help keep the engine cooler as well as lower the intake temps? but the problem is there would be no where for the air to escape? out the back of the bonnet maybe??

or am i just thinking too much and should i just head down stairs with my saw?

Get the saw out - let me know how you get on - and then post pics mate 8)

yeah, I've removed that from all of my 'rados and have had a pipe run to there on my valver or down through the carbon cannister hole on my G60s to act as a ram pipe...

The only downsides are that it allows a lot of road crud to get into the engine bay when removed and doesn't direct quite as much air onto the radiator which doesn't matter on my G60 as there's a sodding enormous intercooler there anyway! :lol:

or down through the carbon cannister hole on my G60s to act as a ram pipe...

Really how's this done is ram air not enough? can you post pics? please mate

not got any pics...

Basically, take out the carbon cannister (instructions should be in Wiki) and fit a suitable bit of pipe down the hole with an angled bit at the bottom which you attach to the brake cooling duct... then cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox to mate up with the pipe and hey-presto... one cold air feed which kind of acts as a rampipe as the speed goes up... 8)

yeah, dropped the inlet temps by about 4degreesC at idle (pulling air in from nowhere near the radiator) and upto about 8 degrees at speed... 8)

yeah thats exactly what ive done, placed a piece of alu ducting on the carbon can bracket (shown in the pic) and sewn off the brake duct so it doesnt hook up with the brake and connects to the ducting instead, like henny said at higher speeds the air will rush throught the vent, through the brake duct but now be directed to the bottom corner of the air box. think i may cut away that bit of plastic too now and may try and use up the left over alu for another duct of some sort to the air box! sure i can make some sort of contraption? :)

could be m8, like henny said if you got some ducting long enough then you could have it going from the grill right up to the air box on your valver, should benefit from the cooler air, especially at higher speeds!

think im going to see what i can make up 2m and chop off this plastic bit

There used to be a really good photo-guide on how to do the feed for a 16v on the old Scottish CCGB site. Anyone know if this is still around anywhere?

Cazza16v, no mate but literally used the soldering iron to cut a square then sand off for a tidy finish

i`ll take one tomorrow if i remember